PDA

View Full Version : Some you win, some you lose

Dennis Ford
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I tried making a hat from some sweet gum this morning. I was doing ok and having fun making lots of shavings but achieved negative thickness. Fortunately I have some more sweet gum from the same log.
I went ahead and finished roughing the hat just for practice. One picture shows sunshine through the hat. This was not my first hat or first hat failure.
Now on to the next one!

Norm Zax
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
A beautiful hat none-the-less! Cast a quarter of an inch of epoxy, black, into the inside of the hat - no sunshine and now a semi hard hat. Waiting to see the next,
Norm

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2010, 12:39 PM
That is a beauty. Really nice wood. To bad about the negative thinness.

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Very impressive work Dennis! Looking forward to seeing a finished one!

Baxter Smith
02-18-2010, 1:01 PM
Nice looking wood in the hat. Holes for ventilation are important for comfortable summer wear!;)

Joe Scarfo
02-18-2010, 1:15 PM
Not to sound phoolish or anything.. but I have to ask...

Negative thickness... is that fancy words for where there isn't wood any longer as the tool penetrated the wood totally?

Is that a hole?

Thanks
Joe

Pete Jordan
02-18-2010, 1:54 PM
Sooooo Close!

I ordered Hannes Mickelson's DVD on how to make hats last night and talked to him for quite a while. Very nice fellow. We had Chris Ramsey at our club a few years ago and he was awesome.

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 2:24 PM
make it into a peirced hat make the hat have hole in it like a real hat does.
i cant seem to find the hole in the picture

Dennis Ford
02-18-2010, 2:52 PM
[/QUOTE]
Negative thickness... is that fancy words for where there isn't wood any longer as the tool penetrated the wood totally?

Is that a hole?
Joe[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right, it is a hole where I cut through the side.

I think it will be easier and more satisfying to toss this one and make another than to attempt a repair. The holes (there is one on each side) are too big to disguise as ventilation holes.

steven carter
02-18-2010, 3:59 PM
That's not negative thickness, it's a vent. Nice looking wood, I would keep it.

Steve

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 4:46 PM
Dennis, all else aside, that is some awesome wood!! Trash this one and go for the next one. Make sure to post a pic!!

charlie knighton
02-18-2010, 5:03 PM
that is a pretty good attempt, your satisfaction bar is pretty high to trash that one, thanks for sharing

Craig Powers
02-18-2010, 5:30 PM
Nice job, pretty wood. Hate to see the mishap.

David E Keller
02-18-2010, 8:55 PM
That looks great even with the inadvertent vents... On my list of things to try one of these days.