PDA

View Full Version : Curved table top frame Techniques?

alex grams
02-18-2010, 9:07 AM
I've typically dealt in straight lines and flat edges, but am starting a project I want to do some round table tops on with contrasting wood frame around. I can't seem to find any technique threads on this and how to get the pieces cut with perfectly flush curved joints. Can anyone point me to some threads/articles that give a good walkthrough on this? My project will be a veneered surface with a contrasting solid wood frame.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie Buxton
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
If you're talking about the solid-lumber rim that edges the veneer field on the table top, I don't understand why the joints will be curved.

One way to make a solid-lumber rim on a veneered table top is the following... Make the middle first -- veneer on plywood. Let the edge run free. Make the rim second. It is an octagon or hexagon or whatever, made from pieces of straight lumber. Use whatever end-to-end joinery you like -- splines, biscuits, tongue-and-groove, even lap joint. Fasten a temporary board or plywood sheet across the middle, so you have a place to pivot a trammel. Use a router on a trammel to cut the outside edge of the rim, the inside edge of the rim, and even a ledge for the plywood to sit on. Use the trammel to cut the plywood to a circle. Drop it into the rim. Done.

alex grams
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I am familiar with using a router on a pivot point, but was curious as if any other methods were possible.

Take this nice piece by fellow creeker Greg Jurrens for example: I would ask him how he made the frame for it but don't want to derail the thread he posted it on.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142380&d=1266438748