PDA

View Full Version : Looking for toy inspirations

Raymond Sprouse
02-18-2010, 6:32 AM
I have been searching online for ideas on toys I can make on my lathe. I have found several in this forum, but nothing yet that struck me. If anyone has any ideas, sites, or pictures, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Robert Parrish
02-18-2010, 8:51 AM
Raymond, I'm currently building this train set. It has a lot of small turning and is a lot of work but fun also!

Roger Bullock
02-18-2010, 8:51 AM
We host most of the major family holiday get togethers at our house each year. A couple of years ago when I was just starting to play around with the lathe, I ran across an article on turning small tops out of small scrap wood. I turned several and threw them in a box an put them out in the family room thinking the younger kids would play with them.

Never fails that sometime during the day, the tops come out onto the coffee table and both the young and old alike have them out and are having contest to see which one can keep their top spinning longer than the other guys.

Easy to make. Just drill a hole in a wood blank (size doesn't matter), glue in a dowel , then throw it on the lathe and turn. Fun quick project that uses those little scraps and are a lot of fun to play with.

Frank Frazier
02-18-2010, 8:57 AM
Hi Raymond, great question it will be interesting to see what the creative folks on this forum come up with.

I am in the process of picking a new lathe to upgrade to from my Jet Mini and while I was on the Teknatool site I saw this toy tractor project from a guy in Germany. Nice Toy.

http://www.teknatool.com/projects/NOVA%20Toolbox_Project_Toy_Tractor.pdf

-Frank

Rich Stewart
02-18-2010, 2:57 PM
Try woodturningonline.com

They got lots of projects to give you some ideas.

Mark Hazelden
02-18-2010, 8:19 PM
There is a book "Turning Wooden Toys" by Terry Lawrence that has many ideas. It should be available from your local book seller or maybe library.

Mark