PDA

View Full Version : What am I going to do all day in Dallas?

Bo Wingo
02-17-2010, 11:56 PM
So my wife is going to Dallas this weekend to attend a Bridal Show with a friend who just got engaged. I agreed to accompany her on the drive up and back when she mentioned that there was an exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art titled "Gustav Stickley and the American Arts and Crafts Movement." Unfortunately, after further investigation, I found out that the exhibit is actually February 13–May 8, 2011!

So now, I'm trying to figure out...what do I do all day in Dallas this Saturday? Are there any interesting woodworking related things to see or do other than spend too much money at a Woodcraft or similar store? :confused:

P.S. I apologize if you're the kind of person that gets upset seeing the same question asked on different woodworking websites, but I'm trying to get varied input.

Bill Huber
02-18-2010, 2:34 AM
About the only things here are Rockler and Woodcraft.

There are 2 Rocklers and 2 Woodcrafts.

Out side of that there are some things just to see, that I like.

The Mustangs in Las Colinas.
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
The Fort Worth stockyards area.

All of these can be found on the net.
If I didn't have to work Saturdays I meet you for lunch.

Phil Phelps
02-18-2010, 7:36 AM
[QUOTE=Bo Wingo;1348012]So my wife is going to Dallas this weekend to attend a Bridal Show with a friend who just got engaged. I agreed to accompany her on the drive up and back when she mentioned that there was an exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art titled "Gustav Stickley and the American Arts and Crafts Movement." Unfortunately, after further investigation, I found out that the exhibit is actually February 13–May 8, 2011!

So now, I'm trying to figure out...what do I do all day in Dallas this Saturday? Are there any interesting woodworking related things to see or do other than spend too much money at a Woodcraft or similar store? :confused:

If you don't play golf, you're in for a long day. There is a 20% chance of rain Saturday.

Don L Johnson
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
When all else fails, check Craigslist in the Dallas/Fort Worth areas and see if there is anything you might need...you just never know!

Don Jarvie
02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
You can still hit the museum, there may be other furniture on display

Neil Brooks
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM
....Eat.... (http://www.pappadeaux.com/)

Joe Scarfo
02-18-2010, 1:18 PM
i'm in the Dallas area routinely... fly down from Green Bay..

I always visit the stockyards... the food is great and so is the music
I always hit up Rockler and Woodcraft... never know what's in the clearance bins
I always hammer craigslist list looking for a deal...

That should kill the day..

Good Luck
Joe

Jim Rimmer
02-18-2010, 1:28 PM
About the only things here are Rockler and Woodcraft.

There are 2 Rocklers and 2 Woodcrafts.

Out side of that there are some things just to see, that I like.

The Mustangs in Las Colinas.
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
The Fort Worth stockyards area.

All of these can be found on the net.
If I didn't have to work Saturdays I meet you for lunch.
If you go downtown to see the Sixth Floor check out the Bronze steers and cowboys. It's been awhile so you'll have to google to find them but they are downtown somewhere. That will kill about a half hour. :D The museum is good and there are places to eat within walking distance. Used to be a place called Dirty Dick's or Dirty Dan's if you like big burgers and don't mind being insulted while you dine. It's a fun place - if you try to order soemthing special the waiters go off on you as part of the ambiance of the place.

Thomas S Stockton
02-18-2010, 1:51 PM
I'm a little weird but I would rather go to a good museum than a Rockler or Woodcraft any day. I think with the internet I can see it all online and the only time I will stop by one is if I'm nearby and the fact the closet one is over 150 miles away.
Tom

Steve Jenkins
02-18-2010, 7:13 PM
If you are up for a bit of a drive come by and say hi. I'm about 45min to an hour north of downtown. Welcome to hang out as long as you like. I will be working in the shop all day.
If you're interested give me a call and I'll give you directions.

Gary J Belch
02-18-2010, 8:13 PM
Spent two weeks in Dallas just about a month ago, helping son and daughter in law get some much needed kitchen revamping started. All new stainless appliances installed, seven foot oak base cabinet had to be reconfigured to work a 30" gas unit in the middle of the space. While we were there spent a Sunday afternoon at the Dallas aquarium. Had a real enjoyable time and great meal after. Word for the wise...pay attention to Parking lots and where and when you park......real big on placing a shoe on tires and charging $102.00 to have them come and release the shoe bumper. Understand that this happened this past weekend near the AA arena for the NBA all star game.

Clark Harbaugh
02-18-2010, 8:48 PM
The local wood supplies, Wood World, is having a class this weekend on coloring turned wood. Their classes are usually pretty good. Check out www.woodworldtx.com (http://www.woodworldtx.com). If nothing else they are usually good enough to kill an hour or so just browsing their latest stock of exotics and turning blanks (if you have succumed to the vortex of turning:)).