PDA

View Full Version : Are These Good for Turning or Shaping?

James Combs
02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I was in the woods back in the early fall of last year looking for a burl and came across this tree with large crescent shaped growths on it. I am sure the growths are some sort of parasite but they are very hard. I was wondering if they are usable for any kind of woodworking project and what they might look like inside. I doubt that they have any kind of grain pattern because I suspect that they are a type of mushroom but a very hard mushroom. Does anyone know what they are and if they if they are useful for anything wood. The one in the close up is 12+ inches wide and sticks out from the tree probably 6 inches.

Inquiring minds want to know.;)

Mike Heidrick
02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Tree is dead? Rotted?

James Combs
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Very close to being dead. Probably has some rot in it but it did have a few leaves on it at the branch tips. Its an old locust I think but don't really remember.

Tree is dead? Rotted?

Joe Wiliams
02-18-2010, 2:14 AM
I know them as conks. The underside is sometimes white or very pale and people actually draw on them.

Dan Forman
02-18-2010, 4:02 AM
It is some variety of bracket fungus. I don't think it would be a good candidate for turning or wood working, but they are very good at recycling dead trees.

Dan

Mike Cruz
02-18-2010, 6:49 AM
I agree that they probably aren't worth the effort for "working" them... unless you want to draw on them.

And believe you are right about it being locust. In which case firewood, no make that GREAT firewood comes to mind for a use for the tree.

James Combs
02-19-2010, 5:20 PM
Thanks guys. It was just a matter of curiosity. I am not much of a sketch artist so I guess Ill just let them continue recyling the tree.:)

I agree that they probably aren't worth the effort for "working" them... unless you want to draw on them.

And believe you are right about it being locust. In which case firewood, no make that GREAT firewood comes to mind for a use for the tree.

Myk Rian
02-19-2010, 6:07 PM
That looks like a locust, and those are fungus growths.
A neighbor across the street cut a honey locust down last year. I saved many pieces, and a turner got the big ones. It is beautiful wood.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128673&d=1253930174