PDA

View Full Version : delta dj-15 vs powermatic 54a vs bridgewood BW8J

ADAM GROSS
02-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I've been looking for a jointer for a little bit now. This will be my next big tool purchase. I've looked at 6" and 8", used and new. I have recently found three used jointers that sparked my interest and am looking for opinions. The two 6" jointers are the delta dj-15 and the powermatic 54a. Thay are both about the same price with the powermatic being a little cheaper and including the powermatic roller base. The powermatic is only a couple years old with only a handful of hours on the machine and almost half price of a new one. The delta is a nonprofessional used machine and of course older. I have a delta unisaw and a delta x5 bandsaw and am happy with both. I bought the unisaw used and have had no problems. I also found a bridgewood bwj8 with hardly any use but no roling base for about the same price as the others. The fact that it's an 8" jointer with a 1.5 baldor motor is great. I know they don't make bridgewood anymore but I called Wilke and parts and knives are still available. I believe he said bridgewood and possibly powermatic were basically the same machine at that time. Sorry for rambling on here.
Looking for thoughts on the three jointers with any prefences from anybody. I would like an 8" jointer but believe that a 6" would be fine for the hobby furniture that I do. Thanks.

Sean Nagle
02-18-2010, 4:04 PM
I love my DJ-15. I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a DJ-20 or Powermatic parallelogram design 8" jointer.

Matt Day
02-18-2010, 5:01 PM
I recommend you go for the 8" if you can fit it in your space. There are countless members of SMC (including me) that have upgraded from a 6" to an 8" and would recommend you save yourself some hastle and get the 8" now rather than later.

I don't have experience with the jointers you mention, but I do have a Bridgewood TS and it's been a great, solid, saw and I'm not worried about the fact it's not made anymore. If cost is an issue, you should be able to make yourself a mobile base for the cost of some casters and scrap wood.

Good luck!

Robert LaPlaca
02-18-2010, 6:08 PM
Adam,

I owned a Pm 54a, it was a very nice jointer... It's only issue was only a 6 inches wide r and as previously mentioned was upgraded to a wider jointer..

Tony De Masi
02-18-2010, 6:13 PM
Adam, I've had the PM54A for about four years now. As I'm sure you know since you've done your homework, it's a very well built machine. I've had no issues at all with it. HOWEVER, the further along I've gotten in this realm of woodworking the more I wish I had at least an 8" machine.

Tony