PDA

View Full Version : recent hollowform

curtis rosche
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
heres a hollowform i just finished. first thing i have done in awhile,, took for ever to hollow and sand because it is locust. but i think it looks good. it is spaulted,, and i filled the cracks in with epoxy and charcoal.
comments and critques welcome

sorry about the picture quality, its been really busy around here for a couple weeks, i almost didnt have time to take them

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Very nice HF Curtis. Like the charcoal with the spalting.

Mark Burge
02-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Nice one Curtis. I really like spheres and you did a good job with this one. The shape is well matched to the wood. It almost looks like an ancient world map in parts. I like the idea of using charcoal as a filler with epoxy. It made for very dramatic vertical lines in the piece. I'll have to try that sometime. Did you use artist's charcoal or charcoal from the barbecue grill?

curtis rosche
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
i took some charred peices out of the woodstove, then chipped off some black,, and then put it in an old food processor to make it into as fine of a powder as i could.. then when i put it in the container to use, i shook it just right so the finest stuff came to the top, and mixed that with the epoxy.
thanks for the compliments. a few other people have said the same thing about looking like a map.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2010, 11:29 PM
You did pretty good on the form Curtis! The black filler works well with the color of the wood! What did you use for a finish?

curtis rosche
02-17-2010, 11:36 PM
waterlox for the finish. i used it at school and got stuck on it. its simple and easy, it polishes nice, and it brings out the figure in some woods

Bill Bolen
02-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Excellent piece Curtis. The filled cracks really make a stand-outpiece...Bill...

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2010, 1:49 AM
Good looking Elm hollow form Curtis, sure is tough wood to hollow, too bad it split so much but you did a nice job of recovering it with the Charcoal and epoxy mix, almost looks like spalted wood lines ;) :D

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 7:38 AM
Leo, I am 100% sure this is locust, i cut down the tree last summer. its the same locust that i have been making everything else out of, just that this peice is spaulted

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 7:41 AM
Curtis, I agree on the "globe" look - very neat with the spalted lines and great idea on the charcoal - messy, but great idea. Hope that wasn't your girlfriend's blender/processor!!:eek: You could be in real trouble.

Eric Kosanovich
02-18-2010, 8:14 AM
Curtis,
Vary cool looking
What type of epoxy did you use?

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 9:03 AM
i dont have the link on this school computer but i will post it when i get home,,, its a self leveling clear epoxy, i got a gallon of it for about $30.
it got really thick when i used it cause i accidentally left it in the cold garage. that was a bad idea, it made it fillin the cracks alot slower, and then when i went back to fill them in again, the epoxy suck to the gloves and ripped the fingers off of them.

David E Keller
02-18-2010, 8:59 PM
cool looking piece... the cracks and spalt make the piece for me.

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 10:48 PM
sorry,,, the place i bought the epoxy from doesnt have it anymore.. it was cheap though,

Baxter Smith
02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks like a very challenging piece of wood to turn! Will have to try one of these someday.

curtis rosche
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
warning to you, dont try to turn dry locust as a hollowform, unless you are ready for a very rough ride from your tools, and a beating for your lathe. i roughed this out when it was green,,, then let it dry. that last bit of hollowing i though my lathe was gonna split. sounded like a screaming banchy,,, it was vibrating the tool against the toolrest even with the lightest cut.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Maybe I'm wrong Curtis,but it surely looks like Elm with that interlocking grain, especially on the third picture, but hé I'm not infallible, but like I said good job ;-))