PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Ultra Cigar

John Terefenko
02-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Here is a pen I made and it is a ultra cigar kit with a black/grey carbon fiber blank which I casted. Micromeshed to 12,000 and plastic polish as a finish. Thanks for looking and as always any comments or questions are always welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0543.jpg

Brian Effinger
02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Very elegant, John. The casting looks great.
Is that your new background?

Steve Mawson
02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice and great photo.

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
That is a really pretty pen. Nice photo.

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Very classy looking! Very nice work on the casting!

John Terefenko
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Very elegant, John. The casting looks great.
Is that your new background?

Yes Brian. What do you think??? I am still working on lighting and all that but this is a start.

Joe Adams
02-18-2010, 1:06 AM
...a black/grey carbon fiber blank which I casted.

Can you share your technique? Thanks!

Mark Hubl
02-18-2010, 1:48 AM
Pretty pen. Looks good. Good photog as well. Background looks good and the stone works well.

Norm Zax
02-18-2010, 4:03 AM
Very professional pen and lighting!

Roger Bullock
02-18-2010, 8:57 AM
Classy looking pen. I must say your photo is spot on, don't know how you could improve anything about it. Nice job. Did you cast the rest also?

John Terefenko
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Classy looking pen. I must say your photo is spot on, don't know how you could improve anything about it. Nice job. Did you cast the rest also?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes the prop it is sitting on is just actually some pr I had left over and poured into a small paper drinking cup and I added some inlace dust to give a little color and sparkle. Put on the lathe and spun it and polished it. Thanks all for looking.

George Morris
02-18-2010, 4:10 PM
John very nice work. I am a proficient bowl and hollow form turner but just starting pens. I guess I am a little backwards!

A question I like to write with gel roller ball pens. Who are the best quality for these pens? Any thoughts?

Thanks! George

John Terefenko
02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
John very nice work. I am a proficient bowl and hollow form turner but just starting pens. I guess I am a little backwards!

A question I like to write with gel roller ball pens. Who are the best quality for these pens? Any thoughts?

Thanks! George

George, welcome to the world of pen making. What I do is a whole lot easier than what you hollow turners do. I will eventually get to that if there is enough time in my lifetime:)

Not quite sure what you are asking. But if you are asking about kits, you have to remember a rollerball needs a cap on the end to keep the ink from drying out. So 2 piece pens are it. As far as kits there are sooooooooo many and you can spen as little as you want or as much as you want. I like to use Berea kits because you always want a good plating so that it does not wear away and make the pen look cheap. Titanium, Rhodium, platinum are all good choices along with chrome. I will buy my kits from Bear Tooth Woods, also from Crafts Supply USA, or from Arizona Silhouette.

Now if you are asking about refills. That is a matter of personell choice. Go to Staples or one of those places and you have your choice. I like to use the Uniball gelRT and actually buy them in Walmart.

Good luck and hope this answered your question.

Matt Ranum
02-19-2010, 7:27 AM
Thats one sweet looking cigar!

Billy Tallant
02-20-2010, 4:32 AM
Sharp looking pen!

Van Huskey
02-20-2010, 5:01 AM
Very nice pen!

ron hossack
02-21-2010, 8:35 AM
John ... nice pen.

I just do not like 'center bands' on cigar pens and normally do not use them but after seeing this I may have to recant my biased opinion and be thankful I don't have any of these blanks :D

John Terefenko
02-21-2010, 10:16 AM
John ... nice pen.

I just do not like 'center bands' on cigar pens and normally do not use them but after seeing this I may have to recant my biased opinion and be thankful I don't have any of these blanks :D

Thanks Ron.

Are you refering to center bands like are used on these cigar kits???? I find the cigar pen one of my top sellers and is not difficult to make or put together. There are so many kits out there and they continue to evolve and change appearance. Thanks for looking.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133370

ron hossack
02-28-2010, 5:33 PM
Thanks Ron.
You are very welcome ...

Are you refering to center bands like are used on these cigar kits???? I find the cigar pen one of my top sellers and is not difficult to make or put together. There are so many kits out there and they continue to evolve and change appearance. Thanks for looking.
No ... not a particular cigar kit ... I just normally don't like center bands on any cigar kit until I saw that black carbon one ...

My version of the cigar in curly maple minus the center band ...

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/012010/thumb_6913564MaplePen.jpg (http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6913564MaplePen.jpg)

Again. I do like yours

John Terefenko
02-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Ron that is also very nice. Everyone has their tastes for sure. That is why we make so many differnt styles and let the customer decide. Thanks for showing.