PDA

View Full Version : A bit of work

Mark Bolton
02-17-2010, 9:32 PM
Hello all,
We have yet to post any work here and I took a few images on my cell of a job we have been on for a while (and will be for a long while to come).

This project has a bit of a long background. It is a 28x40 game room, as in games and wild game. The owner is an avid hunter and outdoors man. The shell was built by another contractor who had a falling out with the owner. At this point it seems the project sat for some time while the owner pecked away at it on his own. We were brought in on the project last year to start completing it in small phases as the budget allowed. When we got there the structure was complete on the exterior, rough wired, insulated walls (not ceiling) and interior ply sheathing (to allow for infinite screw locations for mounts) was started.

The project is being trimmed out in poplar supplied by a lumberyard who timbered the owners property. For reasons too deep to get into here, virtually all the finish material on the project will be custom run poplar at our shop. This will be 3 piece base, fluted window casing with walnut rosettes, as well as other trim and millwork. The staircase will be Beech.

These pictures are of the completed ceiling and some faux timber wraps we constructed to conceal some non-structural beams constructed by the original contractor. These wraps are of course far from being structurally accurate in their illusion but they were the best option we came up with to cover these beams in a reasonably cost effective way.

It seems the concept of these beams were to facilitate mounting ceiling fans rather than hanging them from the typical pole mounts. At least I think that is why they were put in there. In any event, they were there and needed to be covered up.

My thoughts were to make them look as much like timbers as possible. This had to be done with 16' max length material and without the addition of any rake members. This is why there is just a queen post and bottom chord.

There will be small protruding (again faux of course) tenon's below the queen posts to make them look as if they are through tenons. These we will add shortly. These through tenons will be the mounting point for the fans as well. The wiring is roughed right to the back side of these wraps.

The wraps are 11" x 8" and each segment was constructed complete, three sided, at our shop and then hoisted into place. They then have a simple MDF cap on the top installed with pocket screws so that these caps can be removed later in the event the homeowner wants to run wire out the wraps for any reason.

The pins, while they dont really show with the dark stain, are walnut. The stain was decided on because the wraps just washed out against the natural poplar ceiling and the space needed something to break it up.

Gable ends of course will be painted sheetrock

Also in the picture are some images of what was hanging on the walls when we got there. I cant say that I enjoy working around this stuff (chance of damage) but the homeowner really doesnt have any other option for storage. They get covered when the dust flies.

The room will ultimately have a custom bar, custom gas log fireplace surround with stone work, pool table, hardwood and tile floor, and of course all the media gee gaws (audio/video/big screen)

Sorry for the length,
Mark

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3yRgDN6S9I/AAAAAAAAAYk/TiRM4y27XDM/s640/IMG_0404.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3yRzmxBxbI/AAAAAAAAAYo/DrKNN3JPuOI/s640/IMG_0406.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3yR3F4tEfI/AAAAAAAAAYs/qTJItMovdig/s512/IMG_0416.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3ySVIOVQUI/AAAAAAAAAY0/HxcZqIrWYr8/s512/IMG_0414.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3ySY7RulyI/AAAAAAAAAY4/LtMcmhWrUNA/IMG_0412.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3ySnPOPTfI/AAAAAAAAAY8/hZ0FprRu4Xo/078.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LdkjDT1wGbk/S3yS7c7gI8I/AAAAAAAAAZA/RUlfF9sX-wo/s640/IMG_0410.JPG

Van Huskey
02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I love it! Is that a "saw deer" in the last picture, seen a lot of saw horses but thats a new one for me. :eek:

Darnell Hagen
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Is the dog alive?

Van Huskey
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Is the dog alive?

Hmmm, I saw it as a fox and assumed it was stuffed, now that I actually look at it maybe it is a dog.

Mark Bolton
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, I saw it as a fox and assumed it was stuffed, now that I actually look at it maybe it is a dog.

Hehe,
That is our dog, she is on every job we are, she cant seem to figure out that the mounts are simply not going to play with here. Any day we work there, she goes up to them (seems the bear a lot) and raises up on her rear legs giving it a sniff.

Mark

Stephen Edwards
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Your work looks very nice. That's certainly a big project. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Sam Layton
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Nice job Mark, that is a big room. How high is the ceiling? Is the rest of the house as big? Sorry for all the questions.

Great job, Sam

Philip Johnson
02-18-2010, 1:37 AM
What a waste of space.....imagine the shop that would make...anyways nice work be sure to take some shots when finished

Phil

Aaron Berk
02-18-2010, 1:47 AM
Love the beams, nice work

Glen Butler
02-18-2010, 2:55 AM
Hmm, A giant sarcophagus for dead aminals. Some people just have too much money. Which begs the question. How does he have that much money and that much time to hunt? Seems you'd have one or the other. Other than that nice work. Looks like a fun place to spend your day, unless those animals heads start going Stephen King on you.:D

Mark Bolton
02-18-2010, 8:57 AM
Sam,
the cielings are probably around 25' or more to the peak, I have never measured them. The main house is A two story of course so the height is there to match it. The main house is not overly large. I would guess that this addition nearly doubled the size of the house ( volume ) but perhaps increased the square footage by 30-50 percent.

Philip, Glen,
I guess hunting, firearms, etc., are their hobby just like woodworking is yours. I am not a hunter and have never hunted (too big a softy) but it is not my place to judge. It's their passion. And though many disagree, facets of hunting serve a purpose.

It wouldn't be that big a shop if you dropped the cielings to a reasonable height, though a two story shop would be juicy in there. It's less than 1200'. Our shop, while it's for our buisiness, is 3k sq, and it's buldging at the seams.

Well, I really just posted it for the wraps. They were far more work than they look.

Thanks,
Mark

Philip Johnson
02-18-2010, 9:23 AM
Mark

I am not a hunter either but was just commenting it would be wonderful to have a beautiful space like that for a shop. Maybe its time to rethink the shop and make it pretty and display our tools on the walls like trophies. There are hundreds of hobbies out there and everyone wants to create a special place to enjoy their hobby. Again beautiful workmanship and I do like the beams.

Phil

Glen Butler
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I was just trying to make a funny, thanks for killing it:D I agree though hunting is not my passion, I would certainly build a room that big for a wood shop, at least his is doubling as an entertainment gathering room.

Sam Layton
02-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Mark. You are doing a great job. It must be hard doing all of that work up do high. It seems that room will be hard to heat and cool...

Thanks again Mark, keep the photo's coming.

Sam

Mark Bolton
02-18-2010, 2:43 PM
I was just trying to make a funny, thanks for killing it:D I agree though hunting is not my passion, I would certainly build a room that big for a wood shop, at least his is doubling as an entertainment gathering room.

Sorry for that Glen, one of my personality flaws is that I usually get "funnies" about 9.5 hours after they were told. Never been very quick witted for some reason.

And yes, it will be a large gathering room for him and his family. He has a young son who he hopes will use it through his high school years. That said, it is of course a celebration of his favorite hobby.

Mark