PDA

View Full Version : GLOAT: Dust collector upgrade

Ken Shoemaker
02-17-2010, 8:41 PM
I just finished upgrading my Delta 50-850, with Gary MacIntyer's cyclone. (Ebay Item# 270423194251) After speaking with Gary , at length, I bit off on the unit for $227.75 deliverd to my home. I used the motor and impeller from the 850 and this is what I came up with.

This thing is AWSOME!!!!! My CFM is throught he roof and I'm all plumbed with 6" HVAC 30ga. pipe. I am convinced this is the best money I've spent in a long time. It has done everything, and MORE that Gary said it would.

The third picture is of the carcass of the 850. I have that, and several pieces of 4" PVC pipe, and several pieces of 4" black flex tubing that I no longer need. If there is anyone that would like to trade me something equally useless to them, and are willing to pick it up in Metro Chicagoland, just PM me so we can work it out. Of course I'll clean it up before tranport.

Ken

BTW- I am not affiliated with the seller or the product in any form. Just happy with the purchase.

Van Huskey
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
This one has my interest (thanks for posting). Two things, how tall are your ceilings and do you have any concerns about 30ga ducts collapsing?

Norman Pyles
02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice, how tall is that?

Ken Shoemaker
02-18-2010, 5:54 AM
The ceiling is 8' even. I used a small can because of the height. It's so easy to empty that wont be an issue. I was planing and cutting all day yesterday and it was about 3/4 full and much less residual dust in the shop. Love this thing!!!!!

I dont have any worries at all about collapsing the 30ga. ductwork. In fact, I tested it by closing all the blast gates and starting the unit. I figured, I better find out now instead of down the line in the middle of an important project. I admit the "pucker factor" was pretty high when I pushed the button, but it worked like a champ.

Highly recommended... Ken

Van Huskey
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
The ceiling is 8' even. I used a small can because of the height. It's so easy to empty that wont be an issue. I was planing and cutting all day yesterday and it was about 3/4 full and much less residual dust in the shop. Love this thing!!!!!

I dont have any worries at all about collapsing the 30ga. ductwork. In fact, I tested it by closing all the blast gates and starting the unit. I figured, I better find out now instead of down the line in the middle of an important project. I admit the "pucker factor" was pretty high when I pushed the button, but it worked like a champ.

Highly recommended... Ken

Thanks! I guess it was the can but it looked much larger than that, glad it will fit under my 9' ceiling, will have to look closely at this one.

Glad to here 30ga will work it is back on my list!

Art Mulder
02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
:confused: No filter? Where are you exhausting?

Ken Shoemaker
02-18-2010, 1:28 PM
I'm exhausting right outside. I poured MDF dust into this this as fast as I could get it in and saw nothing come out. That's why I decided to vent it right outside. Virtualy NOTHING is being discharged but air...

Note, it's pretty noisy so be careful if it's pointed at someone you want to keep as a good neighbor.

Larry Edgerton
03-15-2010, 7:09 AM
What about blowing all of your heat outside in the winter. Gets cold in New Lenox.......

Any plans to recapture heat or is your space unheated?

Ken Shoemaker
03-15-2010, 8:21 AM
Larry,

The shop is heated. The DC is on a remote switch. I only leave it running when I need it. The ecellent dust collection outways the heat loss. I used it all winter and it worked out well for me. I wouldn't intend on leaving the DC running non-stop or I think you could empty the warm air quickly.

I should say the floor on the shop is covered in DRICORE forund at Lowes. THAT ONE THING makes so much difference, I would recomend it to anyone. My legs aren't tired oout, and my feet stay warm.

The combination DC and DRICORE is a winner in my book.

GU DAY.... Ken

Larry Edgerton
03-16-2010, 7:18 AM
Ken

My shop is a little different as I make a living out of it. I run machines sometimes for hours at a time nonstop so it would not work for me. I have two four baggers now but am going to do a cyclone in my new smaller shop so I will check out that source. I sometimes have to empty bags two and three times a day. I was going to make one but at the price you paid I will give this fellow a call. If I ran one like yours I would be freezing to death!;)

I have a system designed with a cyclone outside dumping into a bin that can be picked up and dumped with my tractor/forks. After the cyclone the air will come back in to the shop to a baghouse of my own design and build. I have metal fab capabilities as well so to save money I'll just do it myself. I am looking for a source for filter fabric now so my wife can sew up my bags. What they want for commercial setups is out of my pricerange, and I feel overpriced for what is delivered. This way I can keep it up high[12'ceilings] and not in my way.

Ken Shoemaker
03-16-2010, 7:29 AM
Larry,
Your design is intersting.

I have the filter bag from the 850 I no longer use. It's yours if it will save you some money.

In fact, I wonder if you got another on and mounted it to the bottom of the DC, where the plastic collection bag now sits???? You could run the exhaust from the cyclone into the DC, have filter bags in top and bottom. You'll get almost no dust in that filters because of the cyclone. With another bag you'd be in business.

Just a thought... Good Luck!! Kken

Lewis Justis
03-16-2010, 9:19 PM
After I read this post, I recalled seeing a similar looking cyclone on Amazon. So I found it again, and it sure looked the same. $217 plus about $40 shipping. The site said that it was sold through "the Heavy Duty Store" and it had a link. I went there, sure enough, this was definitely a Gary MacIntyer cyclone...it even had his photos on the site! Here is the gloat...$219 with free shipping! It showed up on the porch this past Saturday. It should work nicely sitting under my old Cincinnati Fan drum-top DC.

Josh Bowman
03-16-2010, 9:52 PM
After I read this post, I recalled seeing a similar looking cyclone on Amazon. So I found it again, and it sure looked the same. $217 plus about $40 shipping. The site said that it was sold through "the Heavy Duty Store" and it had a link. I went there, sure enough, this was definitely a Gary MacIntyer cyclone...it even had his photos on the site! Here is the gloat...$219 with free shipping! It showed up on the porch this past Saturday. It should work nicely sitting under my old Cincinnati Fan drum-top DC.
Crud! He must have taken the free shipping away!

Lewis Justis
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I just looked at it again, and in the checkout is came up as no charge shipping: http://www.heavydutystore.com/cyclone-separator-6-pr-21576.html

Josh Bowman
03-17-2010, 6:13 AM
I just looked at it again, and in the checkout is came up as no charge shipping: http://www.heavydutystore.com/cyclone-separator-6-pr-21576.html
That did the trick! Funny every door I tried had 40 bucks shipping. Once again SMC is a great resouce.

Ken Shoemaker
03-17-2010, 7:49 AM
Hey guys, Let me know how it wokrs out for you. Good Luck!! Ken

Josh Bowman
03-17-2010, 8:28 AM
Hey guys, Let me know how it wokrs out for you. Good Luck!! Ken
Does the cyclone have a spiral dust ramp inside or is it just a cylinder and cone?

Dave Cottrell
03-17-2010, 8:43 AM
I was thinking of modifying the DC I have, and your picture of the blower oriented sideways intrigued me.

Are there any issues with running such a motor in a position perpendicular to the axis in which the manufacturer intended? Will bearings wear unexpectedly or will they not be affected?

Matt Benton
03-17-2010, 9:34 AM
I did the same thing with my Harbor Freight DC. 6" ducting and vented outside. Best $/CFM you will find with a cyclone. Also the best $300 I ever spent....

Ken Shoemaker
03-17-2010, 1:50 PM
Josh, I think ther is a spiral ramp inside. The inlet is extended around the back of the cylinder.

I don,t know about a problem mounting the motor on it's side. Only time will tell.

Ken

Joel Earl
03-17-2010, 3:10 PM
Can't imagine why there would be a problem mounting as you have Ken - many have. Matter of fact - that very old Wood Mag design did the same iirc.

At this price point I bet he's got a few orders in the hopper.

Ken Shoemaker
03-17-2010, 8:07 PM
Joel,

I think your right about the orders.

I"ll tell you this is the best upgrade I've ever made. CFM is thru the roof. In fact, my planer actually whistles when I turn the DC on.... Also, nice to have a floor sweep that your not worried about getting a screw or sometning that could start a fire.

Ken

Lewis Justis
03-17-2010, 8:08 PM
Josh,
Glad that it worked out for you. Now if we could just find a deal on some laterall fittings.

lawrence dosson
03-17-2010, 8:14 PM
Ken
I have about the same delta bag type collector do you think it would work to just run the cyclone in series with the delta and still use the bags
Hook the inlet which now has two 4 inch but has removable part to make it 6 or so hook that to the cyclone and put the exhast back in to the bags .
were i live its cold 7 months of the year so i do not care to exhast my heat
but if you could still use the bags only with the cyclone you would have better filltration with out the bags having to get all the chips and dust
thanks LD

Ken Shoemaker
03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Lawrence,
Absolutly!!!
1) Remove your motor and impeller
2) Remove the two 4" inlets from the impeller and replace it with a 7"to 6" HVAC reducer that should slip right over the 6" inlet on the impeller.
3) Turn the impeller/motor on its side and slip the reducer over the the 7" inlet of the cyclone.
4) Run the exhaust of the impleller to you bags.
5) Clean your bag as best as you can so you have max CFM. In fact, replace the bottom plastic bag with a filter bag. Trust me, you'll have so little dust getting in there it will be years before you notice anything in there.

I think this would save your heated air and give you one heck of a DC.
If you need and pics of what I've done, simply let me know. I'll help you out as best I can.

Good Luck.... Ken

David Helm
03-23-2010, 3:54 PM
Just ordered the cyclone (6 inch). Where did you find Gary's number to ask questions?

Ray Bell
03-23-2010, 4:41 PM
Lawrence,
Absolutly!!!
1) Remove your motor and impeller
2) Remove the two 4" inlets from the impeller and replace it with a 7"to 6" HVAC reducer that should slip right over the 6" inlet on the impeller.
3) Turn the impeller/motor on its side and slip the reducer over the the 7" inlet of the cyclone.
4) Run the exhaust of the impleller to you bags.
5) Clean your bag as best as you can so you have max CFM. In fact, replace the bottom plastic bag with a filter bag. Trust me, you'll have so little dust getting in there it will be years before you notice anything in there.

I think this would save your heated air and give you one heck of a DC.
If you need and pics of what I've done, simply let me know. I'll help you out as best I can.

Good Luck.... Ken

Just curious.Why reorient the impeller/motor. Wouldn't it work just exhausting the cyclone into the DC the way it is now set up?

Doug Carpenter
03-23-2010, 5:50 PM
Ken,

How many horsey's what your DC?

I have a smaller jet DC and was wondering about doing the same thing.

Ken Shoemaker
03-23-2010, 6:25 PM
David - I emailed thru Ebay and he called me back. He gave me his number. I'll PM you with it later. I don't have access to it right now.

Ray - Conserving space. If you want to leave it strung out it would work fine.

Doug - 1.5 hp. I used 30ga. pipe and haven't collasped it yet. I read that I really should use that aluminum tape on ALL the joints of the elbows, but at this rate I don't need to go through that trouble. But my planer whistles when I have that blast gate open and that's good enough for me.

Ken

Ray Bell
03-23-2010, 9:35 PM
Thanks Ken,makes sense. Please PM the number to me also.

Ray

Ken Shoemaker
03-24-2010, 7:04 AM
Gary MacIntyer's number is 518-835-2345. Mention my name and Sawmill Creek when you talk to him. He'll remember.

Thanks and good luck.... Ken