PDA

View Full Version : Bogus intent to purchase email floating about

Randy Digby
02-17-2010, 7:33 PM
Yes, another one. This one starts off almost legit, wanting a quote for a ca-zillion tags with payment by credit card. The kicker is when their rep is going to stop by to pick them up and ship them to Sweden.

Gary Hair
02-17-2010, 7:54 PM
Not a problem. Please have your rep bring cash to prepay for the order.

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2010, 9:18 PM
Heck, I only get the guy that needs 3,000 inspirational banners.

Niklas Bjornestal
02-18-2010, 3:08 AM
Yes, another one. This one starts off almost legit, wanting a quote for a ca-zillion tags with payment by credit card. The kicker is when their rep is going to stop by to pick them up and ship them to Sweden.
Can you send me a copy of the e-mail? It would be interesting to see if it's from a real person.

Andrea Weissenseel
02-18-2010, 3:41 AM
Hm ... at least you guys have something to keep your laser busy :D

From me they only want a couple of hundred sewing machines shipped to Africa :rolleyes:

Tania Duper
02-18-2010, 6:44 AM
What does this have to do with engraving?

Andrea Weissenseel
02-18-2010, 8:09 AM
What does this have to do with engraving?

Well, they probably want the ca-zillion tags and the banners engraved - in my case I didn't ask if the sewing machines were supposed to be engraved :rolleyes:

Randy Digby
02-18-2010, 9:09 AM
I've already dumped the emails. It was a real person, but with a poor command of the English language...not that I'm much better.

Gary Hair
02-18-2010, 2:24 PM
with a poor command of the English language...not that I'm much better.

But you are from Georgia, you have an excuse... :cool:

Belinda Barfield
02-18-2010, 2:53 PM
But you are from Georgia, you have an excuse... :cool:

Scuse me Gary, what perzactly is it you'uns is trying to imply here?

I don't get any laser related e-mails but I do get the ones from the African prince who needs to unload a lot of cash. :rolleyes: Oh, and yesterday I won a kajillion dollars in an out of country lottery.

Bill Cunningham
02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't get as many of those as I used to. if you send them to spamcop, you will get back a link to a page that traces the entire path it took to get to you, and where it came from. The vast majority come out of Ghana, and try to look like they came from some Reverend, and wants a gajillion posters/signs/tags/etc. that say something like 'save the children' Somewhere on the creek there is a string I posted where I lead this 'customer' on for a bit.. They use everything from counterfit cheques, to bogus transport companies, stolen credit cards etc.. THEY ARE ALL SCAMS just dump them..

Joe Pelonio
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Well, they probably want the ca-zillion tags and the banners engraved - in my case I didn't ask if the sewing machines were supposed to be engraved :rolleyes:
In my case it's because I do make banners, I never had them try it with laser work but I'm sure it's the same scam.

Bill Cunningham
02-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I have a email file with a whole collection of them.. It's almost a hobby..:D I got a interesting one the other day, from the FBI telling me that the lottery money that was waiting for me was legit, because it had been fully checked out by the FBI I had nothing at all to worry about, just contact the email 'provided' by them to see how I could get the millions I won.. Gosh, I must be rich, because the FBI sent me a email telling me so.. :rolleyes: The FBI is certainly nice to us Canadians. Not Like the RCMP that would just Taser you...:eek:

Niklas Bjornestal
02-19-2010, 3:37 AM
If someone else get such mail from sweden, I can contact the sender and check if it's someone that is really interested of if its a scam. Just that the english isnt good doesnt mean that it's a scam, since english isnt the native language in sweden.

Dan Hintz
02-19-2010, 8:21 AM
Niklas,

Certainly true, but I think most are simplifying the "poor English" excuse for brevity. Most of the scam letters have a certain flow to the way of speaking, not just a poor grasp of the English language and grammar skills. I can tell the difference between a native South American speaker and a native Asian speaker (usually) by the way they murder the language. The Nigerian scams also tend to bring religion into the mix a LOT more than any other country... probably because it works by preying (praying? ;) ) on the "I need to do good in this world" attitude of the religiously strong-willed, of which there are plenty in the US. On the whole, we're a pretty greedy (and gullible) lot...

Dave Russell Smith
02-19-2010, 9:37 AM
Niklas,
I can tell the difference between a native South American speaker and a native Asian speaker (usually) by the way they murder the language.

They are not the only countries that murdered the English Language ;)

Dan Hintz
02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
They are not the only countries that murdered the English Language ;)
<chuckle> Is that a jab barely hiding behind the bushes... ;)

I was merely trying to say I can tell the difference between major regions, not necessarily picking those two regions out as the only murderers.

At least we can spell "aluminum" and "color" without extra letters <nudge nudge> :D

Dave Russell Smith
02-19-2010, 3:07 PM

I was merely trying to say I can tell the difference between major regions, not necessarily picking those two regions out as the only murderers.

At least we can spell "aluminum" and "color" without extra letters <nudge nudge> :D

This is a long road we could travel down :D ;)

Kim Vellore
02-19-2010, 3:37 PM

or nukular...

Doug Griffith
02-19-2010, 4:08 PM
...and what's up with cars having wings?

Darryl Hazen
02-19-2010, 6:14 PM
British cars also have bonnets.....

Someone once said "2 great countries separated by a common language"

If memory serves me correctly, it was Winston Churchill.

Norberto Coutinho
02-19-2010, 9:43 PM
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?hl=pt-BR&sl=en&u=http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/ReadingRoom/1.1/Creed.html&ei=pTt_S9fUOc-ztge6wa2mDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCcQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dme%2Btarzan%26hl%3Dpt-BR
:cool:

Dave Russell Smith
02-20-2010, 4:43 PM
British cars also have bonnets.....

Someone once said "2 great countries separated by a common language"

it was Winston Churchill.

At least he got that right :D

So why does a car have a fender I thought they made guitars :rolleyes: