PDA

View Full Version : leaded acrylic

James Rambo
02-17-2010, 7:18 PM
I have a piece of leaded acrylic approximately 24 inch X 30 inch X 12 mm thick. It has a label stating "Equivalent to .5 mm lead". Is this something not to try cutting with my laser? What is it good for? I work in a hospital and we throw away sooooo much stuff. This was part of a portable lead radiology sheild. Yes I also have the lead from the rest of the wall.( Diving weights for my weekend gold mining escapades).

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2010, 9:20 PM
Whether it will cut I can't say, but if you try it, do use respiratory protection because that kind of heat will produce lead fumes that won't be good for you.

Daniel Reetz
02-18-2010, 3:50 PM
I would strongly advise against cutting leaded acrylic using a laser. Provided your laser is powerful enough to overcome the 30% embedded lead:

(
Our leaded acrylic sheets are unique, lead-infused, transparent, plastic sheets that contain 30% lead by weight. Leaded acrylic is transparent with a very light brown tint, and the physical properties of the acrylic sheets are similar to those of conventional acrylic resins. (http://www.nelco-usa.com/leaded_glass.php))

You would have a serious fume problem with the lead becoming laser ejecta. It would probably be fine to cut on a tablesaw or other non-fume-generating method.

James Rambo
02-18-2010, 6:52 PM
Well I HAD to TRY it. My 60 watts at 100% power 3% speed did not get half way throught it. I only tried a corner to see what would happen, with my hand on the door handle to stop the beam just in case ..... Thanks Jaime
P.S. I have a good exhaust. Only 2 foot to the outside wall and no neighbors.

Bill Cunningham
02-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes I also have the lead from the rest of the wall.( Diving weights for my weekend gold mining escapades).

Do they 'know' you have the lead from the wall? The last time I took lead to the scrap yard, I got a buck a pound for it.. Could be there's someone wondering where all their lead went? Hint: 'Try not to look guilty' :confused:
You know the old saying about jail...
o = before
O = after
:D

James Rambo
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, the director of the radiology department generated a work request to "throw the wall away". The director of the maintenance department that I work in knows that I have been gold mining and a liittle under water searches for gold and asked me if I wanted it. Diving weights go for about $3.95 a pound. Thanks, Jaime.

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2010, 1:23 PM
Boy! it's been a long time since I bought any diving weights.. I still have a 8lb and a 3lb that I use in the shop to hold things down.. I always used to pour my own, still have a few old molds around.. How much lead did you get out of the wall James?

James Rambo
02-21-2010, 2:17 PM
I have not had the time to take it apart. I worked yesterday and am working today.
I have Monday off and will try to get it apart . I guess-timate it is only about 10 pounds.

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2010, 3:24 PM
Well, that's 3, 3pounders, and a fishing weight... :D And a savings of $39.50... nothing to sneeze at..

James Rambo
02-22-2010, 8:49 AM
BOY was my guess-timate wrong. I took the time after work yesterday, before I had to pick up my brother from the airport. It weighs in at 20.5 pounds. Not too bad. That was definately worth it. I had left it in the sun to warm up the glues to peel it off easier. it only tookkabout 20 minutes. now I need to melt it down, outside of course.

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 7:48 PM
I had both a old propane burner/pot and a electric 50lb capacity for inside use in the winter. I think I still have a closed two part 8lb mold someplace, it looks like a claymore but without the 'This Side Towards Enemy" notice :D Alas, my diving days are over. Last time down was over 20 years ago, welding on a marine railway.