PDA

View Full Version : Good Wood Pricing?

Lori Kleinberg
02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I found this ad last nite on Craigs list. Is it worth checking out? I am a very suspicious person and these prices are unheard of in Tucson. No pictures were posted,
should I follow up?

MAKORE - 225 BOARD FOOT - $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAK ALL FOR $2.00 PER BOARD FOOT

MISC MAHOGANY - 200 BOARD FOOT - $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $2.00 PER BOARD FOOT

SURFACED MAHOGANY - 150 BOARD FOOT - $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $2.00 PER BOARD FOOT

SLAB MAHOGANY - 367 BOARD FOOT - $2.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $1.00 PER BOARD FOOT

IPA - 80 BOARD FOOT - $1.50 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $1.00 PE BOARD FOOT

WENGE - 35 BOARD FOOT - $4.50 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $3.50 PER BOARD FOOT

BLACK LIMBA - 42 BOARD FOOT - $4.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT

CANARY WOOD - 7.5 BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $2.00 PER BOARD FOOT

JATOBA - 35 BOARD FOOT - $2.50 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $1.50 PER BOARD FOOT

ROSE WOOD - 61.5 BOARD FOOT - $6.00 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $5.00 PER BOARD FOOT

MISC OAK - 50 BOARD FOOT - $1.50 PER BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR .50 PER BOARD FOOT

QUILTED MAPLE - 18 BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT

FIGURED MAPLE - 25 BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $1.50 PER BOARD FOOT

IROKA -26 BOARD FOOT - TAKE ALL FOR $3.00 PER BOARD FOOT

MAPLE BURL - VERY LARGE - ONE PIECE - $40.00

Because I am disable, I would have to arrange for a truck and bodies. I don't even think I could take it all, but I sure would like some. I usually buy just what is
needed for an upcoming project + a tad more.

Stephen Edwards
02-17-2010, 1:30 PM
I would at least contact the seller and then go from there with your instincts. In this current economy you never know what might force someone to sell things at really good prices.

Another possibility is that a woodworker who owned this lumber became ill or passed away and his family just wants to unload the stuff.

I'd check it out.

Ryan Welch
02-17-2010, 2:14 PM
I would at least contact the seller and then go from there with your instincts. In this current economy you never know what might force someone to sell things at really good prices.

Another possibility is that a woodworker who owned this lumber became ill or passed away and his family just wants to unload the stuff.

I'd check it out.

A good point. About 5 years ago I went to an auction where a few kids were selling thier recently passed father's lumber....2 tractor trailers full! They sold everything by the stack and I was able to score well over 500 bf of 5/4 PA walnut for less than $300. I am still kicking myself to this day for not buying more.

Dan Forman
02-17-2010, 4:31 PM
I'd get over there pronto. Sounds like they just want to get rid of it in a hurry. Just like a garage sale, the object is more to move it than to get what each item may be worth, which would take a lot more time and energy.

Dan

Harry Hagan
02-17-2010, 4:59 PM
The president of my local woodworkers club advised me to buy equipment and lumber at auctions and estate sales.

He said when those old timers become infirm or die off, the family will usually let it go for ½ or less of retail. There’s more stuff stored in garages, basements, etc. than you can ever use or need.

Lori Kleinberg
02-17-2010, 6:22 PM
Okay, cool, :cool:I am going to email them right now. I wish I could take it all, but can't afford that and as I said no place to store it :(. The unfortunate
part is I wouldn't be able to do more then look at it now and p/u on the week end.
Will post any updates.

Dan Forman
02-18-2010, 4:52 AM
Just buy it all, then use the money you saved to send what you can't store to me. It's a win win situation. :D

Dan

Lori Kleinberg
02-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay Dan, sounds like a plan :rolleyes:, just don't hold your breath waiting by the mailbox :D.
Actually, I emailed for more info/pics. Haven't heard anything back.

Dan Forman
02-18-2010, 5:13 PM
Okay Dan, sounds like a plan :rolleyes:, just don't hold your breath waiting by the mailbox :D.
Actually, I emailed for more info/pics. Haven't heard anything back.

Hope you hear soon, I'm starting to turn blue. :eek:

Dan

Lori Kleinberg
02-20-2010, 2:24 PM
Sorry Dan, doesn't look like it will be happening :(, so start breathing. It took 2 emails to get the first response. Emailed my phone number to make arrangement
to see and/or purchase. Never heard back, so.......

Dan Forman
02-20-2010, 5:49 PM
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (giant sucking sound)

Thanks for the update Lori - feels good to breath again. Somebody probably already jumped on it, gotta be quick on this sort of thing. Better luck next time. :)

Dan

Stephen Edwards
02-20-2010, 7:10 PM
As much as I dislike even suggesting this, it's also possible that the seller is biased and can't fathom that a woman would be a woodworker. Unfortunately, there are such people out there.

If you're really interested in some of this lumber you might consider having a male friend write to the seller, just see what sort of response, if any, that he would receive.

Respectfully,