PDA

View Full Version : Veritas newer Block Planes (DX60, NX60)?

Tony Shea
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I could not find too much about these planes in way of how people seem to like them compared to a typical LV or LN block plane. I am currently in the market for a new block plane to replace my old Stanley. The Stanley is just not doin it for me anymore and has a chip in the coner of the mouth and is just worn out. Just would like a nice new block plane.

I was originally going to go with the LN 60-1/2 as I've handled my friends a few times and really like the feel. But then I got distracted by my LV catalogue when I saw the DX60 and even better NX60. They both seem to be same plane but made of different steels. The DX60 seems fine to me.

I would just like to see how you that have had these newer LV block planes for a while seem to like them. Compared to the old trusty LN 60-1/2 and anything else you can tell me about these beauty's.

Richard Niemiec
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
This is informative:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Ryan Welch
02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I got to use on at a woodworking show in Maryland, seems to work well. Like my LN a little better as a user but, I would like to put that NX60 in a display case in my livingroom.....................beautiful

David Gendron
02-17-2010, 1:49 PM
This Derek, he's always of help, like the Jim and Jr. of this forum and may others that we never get tierd to read! Thank you!
I forgot to say: man it would be nice to have one of these(DX\NX in my shop).

Jim Koepke
02-17-2010, 2:06 PM
I could not find too much about these planes in way of how people seem to like them compared to a typical LV or LN block plane. I am currently in the market for a new block plane to replace my old Stanley. The Stanley is just not doin it for me anymore and has a chip in the coner of the mouth and is just worn out. Just would like a nice new block plane.

I can understand the dissatisfaction with a chipped mouth, but I am curious about the worn out part. I guess first it would be good to know what model you have and if you know, about when it was made. I had a #60(-1/2) type plane that was really terrible until the sole was lapped. Then it started behaving properly.

On the other side of this, I am impressed by the DX60 and the NX60. I would like to try an older Stanley #60 or #60-1/2 to see how well they can do. I will be trying an LN 60 this Friday in Portland.

Wow, just did a quick search on > DX60 block < and found a lot of interesting information.

jim

Steven Hart
02-17-2010, 2:07 PM
I have the DX60. It's a fine block plane, and the machining is just fantastic. I don't think you'd go wrong owning one yourself.

Dave Beauchesne
02-17-2010, 2:14 PM

I was originally going to go with the LN 60-1/2 as I've handled my friends a few times and really like the feel. But then I got distracted by my LV catalogue when I saw the DX60 and even better NX60. They both seem to be same plane but made of different steels. The DX60 seems fine to me.

I would just like to see how you that have had these newer LV block planes for a while seem to like them. Compared to the old trusty LN 60-1/2 and anything else you can tell me about these beauty's.

Tony:

I was able to use both at a LV Open House just after they unveiled them - While they are verry sweet, I found them too small for my hands and gripping them was not quite ' right ' .

My suggestion is to try before you buy - - - - -

Dave Beauchesne

Tom Godley
02-17-2010, 2:21 PM
I bought a NX 60 last summer -- its overkill -- but pretty. Oh its a very nice plane too.

also have the LN 102 in WB -- smaller than the NX - a very nice and well built tool.

I use them both ......... at lot ..... and would buy both again.

John Coloccia
02-17-2010, 2:39 PM
Taking nothing away from the new ones, I personally prefer their older style block plane myself. It just happens to feel better in my hand. Nothing at all to do with function.

Rob Lee
02-17-2010, 2:57 PM
Hi Tony -

I have the NX60 (which - you'd expect me to say.... :) ) .... but mine's different.... it's been sitting outside on a window sill since November of 2008....

Yup - it's covered with a bit of snow today - but it faces south, so it eventually heats up and melts off...

One of these days, I'm going to bring it in and videotape (digitape???) cleaning it... it's in surprisingly good shape....

Cheers -

Rob
(whose favorite is our Apron plane, or the LA block with vertical tote...)

Zach England
02-17-2010, 3:38 PM
I have the bigger block plane from Lee Valley and a few Lie Nielsen block planes and the only one I really use anymore is the Veritas "apron" plane. At first I thought it was too small, but I got used to it.

Guess that doesn't really answer the question. I have never used the "premium" block planes they sell.

Bruce Haugen
02-17-2010, 4:48 PM
It's substantially heavier than my 60-1/2, but it's many orders of magnitude better. I've used the same 60-1/2 for 45 years, and it's far from worn out, and for many things it still works fine. But it's just not as good as the DX.

What I particularly like about the DX is the adjustability and blade set screws. That blade stays put, whereas I have a little problem with the Stanley. I treat it as a little smoother.

Having said that, I've never even held the LV apron plane or any of the LN block planes.

Really, you should try out several before you decide. There's just nothing that shows you better than holding it in your hand.

Foras Noir
02-17-2010, 8:42 PM
Do you have any Lie-Nielsen reviews? Your cite is all about Veritas.

Maurice Ungaro
02-17-2010, 9:09 PM
Do you have any Lie-Nielsen reviews? Your cite is all about Veritas.

Err...well... I mean, the thread IS titled "Veritas newer Block Planes (DX60, NX60)?"

Frank Martin
02-17-2010, 9:20 PM
Because how it feels in "your" hand is probably the most important criteria when you compare high quality planes such as Veritas and LN.

Nearly all my hand planes are Veritas. They perform exceedingly well and I really like the fact that they are just not copies of old Stanleys, but redesigned and made to a high precision. May be it is my engineering background that makes innovative Veritas more attractive than LN for me. However, when it came to block planes I sold my Veritas (the old version) to get the LN version. This was simply because the old Veritas was just too wide for me to hold comfortably. Other than that it sure worked very well. At the time, Rob had not come up with the new block planes (DX and NX) so I was left with the LN. I like the LN, but if I was buying one today, it surely would be one of the new Veritas planes. I guess I may still get one anyway. One can never have too many block planes....

I also have the Veritas Apron plane, it is such a wonderful little plane, works really well. I also realized when the blade is really sharp, you don't always need the adjustable mouth. So this may be another option for you. Better yet, you can get both, keep one with a low angle blade for end grain, and the other with a high angle for those small smoothing tasks. That is what I do and I really like the combination.

Tony Shea
02-17-2010, 9:31 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say my Stanley 60 1/2 is unusable but is not what I want as my go to block plane anymore. The toe adjustment peice is broken and the plane is just in rough shape all around. Which is a good excuse to get another higher end block.

I have the bigger block plane from Lee Valley and a few Lie Nielsen block planes and the only one I really use anymore is the Veritas "apron" plane. At first I thought it was too small, but I got used to it.

I've never used or seen the Apron plane in person but I sympathize with you about being skeptical of a small plane. I was gifted by my girlfriend the Lie Nielson model makers little squirrel tail plane. I was very happy with the gift but kinda giggled a bit due to its' size and thought it would collect dust on my display cabinet. Come to find out this plane has become the most used plane I have ever owned and absolutely love it. I think it gets used pretty much every day, and that's no exageration. It is probably one of my favorite gifts I've ever recieved and by far the most used. My girl did a hell of a job picking this one out, and I couldn't have done better myself.

Anyways, I just am in need of a good quality block plane and was just looking for a couple comparisons/reccomendations. I'm almost always a LN guy over a LV but LV's new block planes look stuning. Problem is I just don't know of anyone locally to pick one up and feel it in my hand. I can just drive about an hour and half and pick up any Lie Neilson plane I want. Love supporting local Mainers too.

Charles R. Smith
02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
I picked up an NX60 a few days ago (a gift from my mother-in-law). I suppose I should have honed the blade prior to use, but I was so anxious to clean up some dovetail joints that I just used the plane straight out of the box.

It is unquestionably the nicest block plane I've used. For comparison, I have a number of older block planes, Stanleys and other makes which have been tuned up, along with three Lie-Nielson models. The ergonomics of the NX60 are outstanding, as is the machining. The adjuster knobs are a delight to use.

How can I describe it? The older Stanleys are like driving my Jeep. The LN's are like driving my classic Corvette. And the NX60 is akin to the Ferrari I dream about.

Charles (who has the nicest mother-in-law in the world)

Jonathan McCullough
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
These really appear to be the best block planes available today, new or used. Block planes are actually difficult to make. There are a lot of very finicky little milling operations. You're also taking large amounts of steel out in critical areas, so the metal can shift on you a little bit afterwards. I'm not sure how they stress relieve these but that's an added dimension, and possibly an added amount of time needed to make these accurately.

These appear to be created specifically to be comfortable to use, racy looks notwithstanding. I also like the idea of using set screws to keep the mouth from knocking into the iron. Seems pretty dumb to spend twenty minutes working up to a 8000 grit stone, then tink the adjustable mouth into the iron. The fact that the adjustable mouth is entirely enclosed in the front is also smart. If you accidentally drop a regular adjustable mouth block plane on its toe, the mouth could shift in its groove and rattle it around, making the fit less than precise. With this plane, the adjustable mouth is protected. All these thoughtful little aspects add up to a quality, and innovative plane. Plus the sole and blade are already lapped, according to Chris Schwarz.

I don't have one of these yet but it's on my list. If you want to buy a tool once, buy well, and keep it for the rest of your life, this one seems like a reasonable purchase for anyone to make.

Eric Brown
02-18-2010, 8:00 AM
I have the NX60 and it fits my small hands quite well. It is a joy to use simply because everything adjusts easily and precisely.

I also love the non-rust type tools. I have both the 202 & 203 planes from LN in white bronze and they fit my hand and work very well too. (Note: The LV NX60 and the white bronze planes do not leave streaks like the plain bronze ones do.)

I also have a Stanley 60 1/2 that fits my hand well but the adjustments are not as nice as either LV or LN.

In addition I have Stanley 9 1/4 and 220 planes, but they both feel too large for my hands and I don't use them anymore.

And yes, I have a tool collection problem. I just don't seem to have enough and so I am going to get more soon. Waiting for Rob to release the new skewed block planes. Sure hope he offers them in the premium configuration.

Eric