PDA

View Full Version : A couple back saws...

Leif Hanson
10-28-2004, 1:28 AM
I've just finished making a couple saws - they're from the second batch of my back saw project (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/dovetail/bs-index.htm) - thought I'd show them off a bit, hope you don't mind:

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/saws/saw18a.jpg

Walnut, 7" blade, 17 PPI rip, .020" blade thickness

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/saws/saw19b.jpg

Cherry, 9" blade, 15 PPI rip, .020" blade thickness.

Thanks for looking! :D

Louis Bois
10-28-2004, 6:59 AM
Leif,

You're becoming a master at this saw business...not to mention some of the other tools you've tackled. The only difference between these beauties and the commercially available ones is "track record". Once you get enough of these in "user" hands with feedback, you'll be "there"...wherever "there" is.

Are you planning to go commercial with these well made products? I guess you'd have to snatch a fair few of the old saws off e-bay to keep your stock alive :o

Well done Leif. If I didn't already own a few, I'd make you an offer!!!!:eek:

Terry Quiram
10-28-2004, 7:12 AM
Wow, i'm impressed. All of your saws are very nice.

Terry

John Miliunas
10-28-2004, 8:22 AM
Leif, I'm neither, a Neander or toolmaker, but I certainly can appreciate a well made tool and, it appears to me as though that's exactly what you have there! :D (Shhhhhh....Don't tell anyone, but I've had occasion to use one of those a couple times! :eek: ) As Louis mentioned, if you do decide to offer these or similar units up for sale, you may have an electron burner interested in one! :) Well done! :cool:

Lloyd Robins
10-28-2004, 9:08 AM
So when are you going commerical? Beautiful work!

Dave Anderson NH
10-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I particularly like the walnut one. I've always thought that walnut is one of the most underused woods for tool handles. It's not really suitable for striking tool handles, but for other stuff it sure is beautiful.

Leif Hanson
10-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys!

These have been a lot of fun to make, and I certainly enjoy sharing the experience with everyone, but I don't think I'm going to be "going commercial" anytime soon. I've sold a few on occassion to help fuel the addiction, though... and I've also learned to never say never :D . For now, though, these are mostly just for fun. I've still got far too much to learn before I'd feel comfortable calling it a business. Besides, these have made me fall way too far behind on my other projects already!

Louis - these 2 were made with all new, tempered spring steel purchased from McMaster. I thought I should try it out to see what they came out like, and I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. It's a very thin steel at .020", I think more appropriate for fine work and for these saws which are a bit smaller than previous ones I've made. It is hardened in the Rc48 to Rc51 range so it should keep an edge fairly well. I can't say I'm unhappy with the recycled steel I used in other saws, it's just a different approach.

John - you'll be pleased to know that many, many electrons were sacrificed in producing these.

Dave - after our last conversation, I was tempted to run to the lumberyard and pick up some cocobolo, but resisted because of the sneezing factor. I did use up a beech board I had that didn't match the rest of the stock I have on hand... I think that is some of the best wood for handles. Walnut looks fabulous, but in reality is pretty brittle - which like you say, makes it inappropriate for striking tools, though it is just fine for a saw handle so long as you don't drop them! I agree that it sure is pretty stuff.

Thanks again!
Leif

Donnie Raines
10-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Hello Leif,

Do you sell these items? If so, would you be kind enough to e-mail with some cost?...back saws.

Chris Padilla
10-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Leif,

You've got some interested buyers here. Let us know! :) I like to buy stuff from people on here as opposed to anywhere else if I can. It helps fuel your own addiction and it helps out a feller ww'er in the process. You can't beat that! :D

Leif Hanson
10-28-2004, 2:20 PM
Wow - thanks for the interest! I really was only trying to show off a little of my work though, because you all understand... LOML just doesn't get it, and the neighbor just looks at me kinda funny. I think he's starting to wonder what the heck all those metal filing noises are coming from my garage...

I might have a few in a week or so. I'll contact the people who have asked directly when I have something more.

Thanks again!
Leif

Peter Gavin
10-28-2004, 2:31 PM
I don't know if it is Karma or serendipity, but I bought an old Foley saw file for $10 at a garage sale last weekend not even knowing if it worked or if I would even have any use for it if it does work. Now seeing those saws and reading your detailed process of making them I am getting excited about trying to make some saws myself. Cutting the teeth in the saw filer would take a lot of the work out of what you did and maybe I'd get comfortable enough to try my Disston on it. I am waiting to hear from a tool and die maker friend of mine on getting the right steel and brass, but maybe I could finish something by the holidays. I'll let u know what happens.

Peter

Tom LaRussa
10-28-2004, 4:59 PM
Leif,

You've got some interested buyers here. Let us know! :) I like to buy stuff from people on here as opposed to anywhere else if I can. It helps fuel your own addiction and it helps out a feller ww'er in the process. You can't beat that! :D
OH BOY!

We've hooked another one!

{{{tee-hee-hee}}}:p

Tom LaRussa
10-28-2004, 5:02 PM
I've just finished making a couple saws - they're from the second batch of my back saw project (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/dovetail/bs-index.htm) - thought I'd show them off a bit, hope you don't mind:
Leif,

That's a really cool project, and those saws are really pretty.

I'm still in my mastering-the-Japanese-pull-saw-stage, so you don't need to make one for me right now, :D , but I'm thinking very hard about copying the metal bending brake thingie you show on your web site. Very nifty.