PDA

View Full Version : Which tools for carving very small things?

Doug Carpenter
02-17-2010, 8:32 AM
I am carving a broken clay target about the size of a dime. What is the best way to acheive such a thing?

Thanks, Doug

Chuck Nickerson
02-17-2010, 1:16 PM
Are you carving wood to look like a broken clay target the size of a dime, or are you actually carving a piece of a BCTSD?

If the former, very detailed work is best done with Dockyard chisels, with sizes down to 1mm. The larger elements of the feature, such as outer curves, could be accomplished with normal-sweep gouges.

If you're hoping to carve ceramic, I'm GUESSING that one of the 300k rpm dentil-style drills is your best bet. I use mine on glass and obsidian, so I'd reach for it to try ceramics as well.

Doug Carpenter
02-17-2010, 1:39 PM
Sorry Chuck,

I should have been more specific. I am carving wood. I am making a plate to mount on the underside of the pistol grip of a shotgun.

I would like it to have some relief but it is so small. I suppose a dremel is my best bet. I don't now.

Van Huskey
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
+1 on the Dockyard chisels

Chuck Nickerson
02-18-2010, 1:47 PM
Doug - If you have a Dremel, give it a try.

Dockyard is a brand name. Thet are carried by several companies. I got mine through Woodcraft.

Doug Carpenter
02-19-2010, 7:55 AM
Guys, thanks for the input.

I borrowed a dremel from my father in law. I'm going to fiddle with it today snd see how it works.

I checked out the dockyard chisels. Those are nice. The site I found them on had lots of stiff for carving. The turbo carver looks pretty cool.

I'll report back after I try the dremel.

Thanks, Doug

Doug Carpenter
02-26-2010, 8:10 PM
I am having pretty good sucess with the dremel. I picked up a set of carving burrs from woodcraft. I am looking forward to trying them out. There are some really tiny ones that I think will work nicely.