PDA

View Full Version : What is the best mini lathe?

kendall yates
02-17-2010, 7:33 AM
I have not turned anything for 10 or 12 years but want to get back into it. Things have changed a lot so I drove to the nearest woodcraft store to look around. Look on local craigslist but not much there. What mini lathe would you guys suggest for bowl turning? New or used?

Thank you.

Jeff Nicol
02-17-2010, 8:22 AM
Kendall, If you want a reasonable priced "Mini" then the Rikon is a good place to start. I had a little Steel City VS that worked wonderful but I upgraded it to the new Delta 46-460 and it is the dream machine! I see now Penn State has a new lathe out with VS and just about everything the Delta has except the reversing option. It is a little less money but wold do a fine job also. You also can't beat the Jet mini and midi lathes for rugged reliablity. There are others out there like General, Excaliber, and others that slip my mind. But for the money the Delta VS/Reverse is the cats meow!

Good luck and have fun,

Jeff

John Keeton
02-17-2010, 8:52 AM
Kendall, judging from the flood of threads started recently by the new owners of the Delta 46-460, I doubt you could go wrong with that choice.

Add me to the looooonnng list of members of......

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141251&d=1265645584

Dave Carey
02-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I got hooked on turning when a friend convinced me to take a weekend course with him (largely I suspect to lower his cost.) I looked around the shop and there were 8 Jet mini workstations (Jet 1014I) for the students. I figured if that machine could stand up to that kind of use it might survive my use as well. Two+ years on it's still going strong. Found a sale on Amazon for the machine and stand that also included free shipping. Amazon currently sells it for $370 with free shipping. More if you want the variable speed.

Mike Minto
02-17-2010, 10:30 AM
i'd have to say "mine" :D. jet mini vs; only one i have experience with.

Peter Lamb
02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Hands down!! Have it. Love it! Been turning 30 plus yrs.
Peter

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Delta 46-460.

Donny Lawson
02-17-2010, 7:35 PM
I have to go with the 46-460 too.I have it and love everything about it.
Donny

Greg Just
02-17-2010, 8:45 PM
Asking what the best mini lathe is, is like asking a Ford, Dodge and Chevy truck owner what's the best pickup. You really need to get out and do some research. Places like Rockler and Woodcraft usually will do demos or go to a woodturning club. Like a few have mentioned in this thread, "The one I have is the best".

Allen Neighbors
02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
No, Greg... the one I have is best. :)

Jeff Fagen
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
The one that works for me is the Ricon.
I've put a lot of time in on half a doz. different lathes in classes and for my money I liked this one.

Glenn Weathington
02-18-2010, 4:03 PM
Hey Kendall,
Have a look at Penn State Industries 12" variable speed lathe. When released, it will be the best value for that class of mini-lathe, in my opinion.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but I just sold my older Delta Midi and bought the new variable speed Delta Midi, and boy it is a nice little lathe, bought it at the wood show and had several of the turners giving it a workout, sat just on a piece of plywood laid on top of a garbage can, they all liked it, its nearly silent when running and it has lots of power, all machining and fits and finish are exceptional, I'm very happy with it :D
Here's a picture with one of the guys turning on it :)