PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Brent Stout
02-17-2010, 4:53 AM
It’s been a thrill to find this web-site, where I can see the work and learn from people who are passionate about woodworking. I have picked up several bits of very useful information in the couple of weeks that I’ve been looking at this forum.

I guess I started woodworking early, I think I was about 12 when my Dad bought an old Atlas lathe at an auction for twenty five dollars, including a set of chisels. My Dad set up the lathe in our basement and provided some pieces of wood that I would spend hours turning until there was nothing left but a bunch of shavings. Some of the pieces were “Very Nice”, (according to my Mother).

As an adult, I continued to gather tools and try to spend as much time as I could learning how to work with wood. In the mid 1980’s my hobby had turned into an evening business where I made a few extra dollars to support the family. In 1989 I bought a farm and for the next ten years I had to work on the farm all day, but it was the work in the wood shop in the evenings that provided a living for my family. The almond orchards are now providing well for us, and the woodworking is back to being a hobby that I pursue every chance I get. Two years ago we remodeled our house, which gave me plenty of projects to keep me busy during the winters.

Here’s some pictures of a few of the cabinets and furniture from the last couple of years.

Thanks for looking,
Brent

Steve Schlumpf
02-17-2010, 8:16 AM
Brent - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful work! Lots of great folks here and we all love photos!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Michael MacDonald
02-17-2010, 10:46 AM
welcome... beautiful work... I saw the kid-lock on one of the cabinets... when will you be setting the little one up on your lathe to create some shavings?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the Creek Brent! Nicely done projects!

Sam Layton
02-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Brent,

Welcome to the Creek, it is a pleasure to meet you. I enjoyed looking at your photo's. Your work is excellent.

Sam

Brent Stout
02-18-2010, 2:34 AM
welcome... beautiful work... I saw the kid-lock on one of the cabinets... when will you be setting the little one up on your lathe to create some shavings?

It won’t be long, as I sit here reading, my 15 month old granddaughter just took the child proof latches off the cabinets and is exploring their contents. Pretty clever, huh?

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, and the warm welcome.

Brent,

John Keeton
02-18-2010, 8:02 AM
Brent, I love the work you have done on the cabinetry, and the end table is a really nice piece! Welcome to the creek.