PDA

View Full Version : It's the Surface Stew Said

Jim Koepke
02-17-2010, 1:06 AM
Didn't want to get deleted before it got started.

Anyway, I always thought this would be a tough picture to take, but actually it was more thinking than taking. One shot got it.

Now my thoughts do not have the foundation of proof, reality or even research to back them up. But I do not think you can get a surface like this to result when taking a 0.005" shaving.

If someone can get a surface like this while taking a thick shaving, then I guess I will have to reconsider my thoughts.

Realized there is no explanation. This is a shot looking down the edge of a pice of pine about 2-1/2 feet long. The edge was planed with a #5 Stanley/Bailey type 9.

jim

Matt Radtke
02-17-2010, 1:38 AM
Jim,

You clearly don't know what you're doing. A 5 is a jack/fore, not a smoother! Now you go to your room and think about what you've done! Showing people that nearly any plane can do nearly any cut! Tsk, tsk. What do you suppose would happen our SWMBOs were to see this? She might start questioning why we need all those planes! Start denying us the purchase of LNs!

For shame Jim, for shame. I thought the Internets and I raised you better than this.

:D

David Gendron
02-17-2010, 1:41 AM
Jim: one, 0.005 shaving:zero.
good for you Jim, one day i will achieve that!

David Gendron
02-17-2010, 2:21 AM
not quite as sharp as yours!
On yellow cedar.
I use a #4( all my other plane have cambered irons)
It's all about shavings and fun!!

Jim Koepke
02-17-2010, 3:47 AM
Jim,

You clearly don't know what you're doing. A 5 is a jack/fore, not a smoother!

:D

Actually, there is too much glare when a #3 or #4 is used.

not quite as sharp as yours!
On yellow cedar.
I use a #4( all my other plane have cambered irons)
It's all about shavings and fun!!

Looks like we could be off to the races.

jim

James Taglienti
02-17-2010, 8:40 AM
Do you think there is any unintentional burnishing going on, or is the plane just really that sexy?

Rob Fisher
02-17-2010, 9:49 AM
Im impressed! Very nice work guys. Gives me inspiration. :eek:

Rob

Steve Dallas
02-17-2010, 9:49 AM
Didn't want to get deleted before it got started.

Anyway, I always thought this would be a tough picture to take, but actually it was more thinking than taking. One shot got it.

Now my thoughts do not have the foundation of proof, reality or even research to back them up. But I do not think you can get a surface like this to result when taking a 0.005" shaving.

If someone can get a surface like this while taking a thick shaving, then I guess I will have to reconsider my thoughts.

Realized there is no explanation. This is a shot looking down the edge of a pice of pine about 2-1/2 feet long. The edge was planed with a #5 Stanley/Bailey type 9.

jim

Careful. The Lee Valley police are likely to show up at your door. They have 'vays of making you talk - you'll be "waterboarded" with endless photos of premium hand planes taken inside various and sundry millionaire's hobbyist shops until you cry for mercy and swear off, once and for all, the notion of woodworking with mere blue collar planes.

David Gendron
02-17-2010, 1:14 PM
No racing for me, sorry!
But let see what others will do!
Cheers

Jim Koepke
02-17-2010, 1:40 PM
Do you think there is any unintentional burnishing going on, or is the plane just really that sexy?

Usually when taking those shavings, the plane is not pushed down hard enough to do any burnishing. And if you looked at the plane, the word sexy would likely be the furthest thing from your mind.

No racing for me, sorry!
But let see what others will do!
Cheers

That is what I was hoping to see.

I was thinking of tuning up my #3 and seeing how that can do. The #3 is one of my "sexy" planes.

jim

David Gendron
02-17-2010, 1:53 PM
Are you getting to show them up? after tune up and some polishing of cours!

harry strasil
02-17-2010, 3:37 PM
Didn't even try for the shiny surface, just picked up a scrap piece of salvaged packing crate pine and got the old transitional Stanley 32 outa the tool box and took a coupla swipes, with the blade just as it was, I think the last time I honed it was at least a year ago, and its the original iron that came with the plane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/shaving.jpg

David Keller NC
02-17-2010, 4:05 PM
Now you go to your room and think about what you've done! Showing people that nearly any plane can do nearly any cut!

Hmm - this is not giving Jim his due. :D That ain't just any plane - it's a plane vetted (picked out by) and fettled by Jim. I can garantee that some of the "any old planes" I brought into the shop were definitely not up to this task, at least not before a replacement blade and 4-5 hours of work flattening the replacement iron's back, hollow grinding the bevel, honing the bevel, de-rustifying the metal body, un-sticking the frog screws with some marvel mystery oil, lapping the sole reasonably flat, and filing the frog to get the iron to bed properly against it.

Matt Radtke
02-17-2010, 5:01 PM
Hmm - this is not giving Jim his due. :D

Agreed, I just couldn't resist making a bad joke.