PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Delta 46-460

Jim Colombo
02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
My Delta 46-460 has begun popping the GFCI recently but works fine on a regular 3 prong outlet.
I've replaced the GFCI outlet, the 3 prong plug on the lathe and blown out the interior of the control box with air. All to no avail.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?

Alan Tolchinsky
02-17-2010, 3:44 AM
Hi Jim, I did have that happen to my 46-460. I think I had too much stuff running at the same time like lights and shop vac. Then I found out I had a 15 amp. GFCI that should have been 20 amps. So I changed that out to a 20 amp circuit and so far no problems. So what's the amps of your GFCI and what else is on that circuit? That should lead you to a solution. I'm not saying you need a 20 amp circuit for this lathe since I think it only draws 8 amps. I think. I just like to wire all my circuits with 20 amp service.

Forgot to add that this should be on the turning board where everybody actually owns this lathe. :)

Jim Colombo
02-17-2010, 9:47 AM
Alan: The GFCI is 20 amp. I made sure nothing else was running on the same circuit. An electrician told me the circuit boards on the variable speed motors sometimes causes this problem but it has run just fine for months on the same circuit.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Have you tried the lathe on a non GFCI circuit? I'm suspecting the GFCI device; I'm not so sure about motors and GFCI compatibility. Is your GFCI a breaker in the box or in the receptacle? The later are know to go bad.

Ted Calver
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I had/have the same problem with my variable speed Jet mini as did others here. Apparently there is some sort of a conflict between VFD's and GFCI's. I moved mine to a non protected circuit and have had no further troubles.