PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced a motor on their Grizzly G0555 bandsaw?

Jack Gaskins
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
My 1 HP motor on my G0555 Grizzly 14" band saw went out. Took it to a repair shop and they want $170 to fix it. Grizzly wants $197 for a replacement. Has anyone ever found a replacement motor any cheaper that will fit onto a G055? The placard on the motor does not state what type of body it is. All I know is it has a special mounting plate on it that you use two screws to mount it onto the backside of the bandsaw with. I am guessing no other motors out their have this mounting design on the motor??

Todd Reinbold
02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
A few years ago I replaced the motor on my G0555 with a 1 1/2 hp motor from grizzly. I figured that if I was going to replace it, I might as well go bigger. I called grizzly and they were very helpful. Good luck.

Jack Gaskins
02-17-2010, 5:44 AM
No one ha replaced their motor on a G0555?

Kevin Womer
02-17-2010, 9:39 AM
Have not replaced the motor on my G0555, had it for about 7 years. what Just wondering, what went wrong with your motor?

Don Dorn
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I did - but it was right after delivery and it sounded like it had a grinding sound. The tech had me hold the phone to it, then told me he was sending a new motor. I had to ship the old one back which was $21 and they covered $17 of it - guess that's not too bad, but I was dissapointed that it needed to be done. That was in 2003 and the motor they sent has been working fine since.

Jack Gaskins
02-17-2010, 7:58 PM
Have not replaced the motor on my G0555, had it for about 7 years. what Just wondering, what went wrong with your motor?

It sounds like the inner bearings are gone. I kept hearing a loud squeel but thought it was coming from the blade guides so one day I adjusted all the guides away from the blade and I still could hear the noise and then the motor would run at speed then bog down on its own then run back up. So I disconnected it from the bandsaw and benched checked it and it made the squeeling noise and would not run at a constant speed. I havent picked up the motor yet from the repair shop so I dont know exactly what the found. I do know that over the 7 years that I have had the band saw it has had very little use on it. But as electrical things go you never know when they are going to go out.

Scott Michalski
02-17-2010, 9:50 PM
Jack--Just thought I would share my story...I started getting a clicking from my G0555 motor after I moved. I had less than one hour of use on the machine. Grizzly tech support walked me through a bunch of trouble shoots over the telephone. The finally recommended changing the motor bearings and gave me detailed instructions how to do it (I had never opened a motor before). I ordered new bearings from Grainger and that did the trick. In the end the cost was minimal; oddly the old bearings still looked and felt great.

Jack Gaskins
02-18-2010, 6:04 AM
Jack--Just thought I would share my story...I started getting a clicking from my G0555 motor after I moved. I had less than one hour of use on the machine. Grizzly tech support walked me through a bunch of trouble shoots over the telephone. The finally recommended changing the motor bearings and gave me detailed instructions how to do it (I had never opened a motor before). I ordered new bearings from Grainger and that did the trick. In the end the cost was minimal; oddly the old bearings still looked and felt great.

I will find out what is wrong with the motor when I go retrieve it from the repair shop. Hopefully that is whats wrong with it. If it is I can change them out as I have done it before on an old Delta RAS.

Kevin Womer
02-18-2010, 9:16 AM
It sounds like the inner bearings are gone. I kept hearing a loud squeel but thought it was coming from the blade guides so one day I adjusted all the guides away from the blade and I still could hear the noise and then the motor would run at speed then bog down on its own then run back up. So I disconnected it from the bandsaw and benched checked it and it made the squeeling noise and would not run at a constant speed. I havent picked up the motor yet from the repair shop so I dont know exactly what the found. I do know that over the 7 years that I have had the band saw it has had very little use on it. But as electrical things go you never know when they are going to go out.

I hate to hear that. I hope the repair shop can fix it for you, I have a feeling replacement motors are almost as much as the bandsaw itself. I too, have limited use on mine as well. I see you are USAF retired, I had 10 yrs. in myself. I wish you the best. Take care,
Kevin

michael case
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
To answer your original question:

No, I do not believe your going to get a new motor for any cheaper than the Grizz price. Their motors are inexpensive. Sorry you have to replace the motor at all, but For the cost of their motors if you get seven years out of one your ahead of the game. Why pay $170.00 for a repair if the replacement for a new one with a warranty is only $197.00?