PDA

View Full Version : Ferstool CT22 Speed Question

John Edwards
10-27-2004, 8:33 PM
Maybe I am splitting hairs here but I was wondering what speed you guys are running the CT22 at ?

One of the selling points of the Festool stuff has been the dust collection.
Now Festool must of had a good reason to add the variable speed control. So what is it ?

Myself, using the sanders I turn the speed dial all the way up. Cleaning up the bench is about the only time it gets turned down. If the dust collection is effective at the lower speeds then it would make sense to run it at that lower speed. If for no other reason then to quiet things down.

How do you guys do it ???

Jim Becker
10-27-2004, 10:32 PM
When you use finer grit papers, you may need to reduce the speed setting to avoid a "sticky" tool on the work. I run at about 75-80% when sanding finer than 120 grit.

Greg Mann
10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Maybe I am splitting hairs here but I was wondering what speed you guys are running the CT22 at ?

One of the selling points of the Festool stuff has been the dust collection.
Now Festool must of had a good reason to add the variable speed control. So what is it ?

Myself, using the sanders I turn the speed dial all the way up. Cleaning up the bench is about the only time it gets turned down. If the dust collection is effective at the lower speeds then it would make sense to run it at that lower speed. If for no other reason then to quiet things down.

How do you guys do it ???
When I am sanding I also run it relatively slow, just enough to still be effective. It also keeps the sander from 'sticking' to the work so there is less vibration transmitted to my hands. With the saw I tend to run it faster, that is, when I remember to crank it up. Many times I forget and it still is pretty effective. When I am just using it as a shop vac I'll crank it up. Play with it and see what works for you. The nice thing is you got options.

Greg

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Yup....What Jim and Greg said. :rolleyes: :D

Byron Trantham
10-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Yup....What Jim and Greg said. :rolleyes: :D
and Dennis said.... :D

Chris Padilla
10-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I dunno...I've always run mine at full blast (in all honesty, just forgot I had a dial! ;) ) even up to 600 grit and didn't notice anything but now I will play with it and see! :)

Steven Wilson
10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
I turn it all the way down and then increase the speed until all the dust disapears. The entire rig is usually fairly quiet.