PDA

View Full Version : Cedar for a cutting board?

Harlan Theaker
02-16-2010, 8:12 PM
I've built quite a few end grain cutting boards and have always used only hardwoods, mostly maple, cherry, walnut, mahogany.

I recently stumbled across a website selling softwood cutting boards commercially (made of larch). Anyways, I do have a few hundred bd ft of cedar sitting in my shop and it got me to thinking about whether or not this would work well for cutting boards after seeing the other site.

I've already made one and given it to a chef friend to test for awhile and see how it holds up. What do you guys think? I realize cedar isn't nearly as hard as maple, so I'm not expecting it to be nearly as long lasting, but I can get it for a lot cheaper than other hardwoods locally, which is why I'm thinking about it.

Tony Bilello
02-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Before you start making a bunch of them, think about all of the reasons you would not want to use cedar. Then think of all the reasons that they are not commercially made of cedar and you will come up with an answer.

Leo Vogel
02-16-2010, 8:37 PM
Harlan - my first though was that cedar is way too soft for a cutting board. But after thinking about it, an end grain cedar board may really "heal" itself when used. Being so soft, I would be concerned about bacteria getting into the pores. Tell us how it works out.

Lee Bidwell
02-16-2010, 8:53 PM
I made a batch out of cypress for Christmas (mixed with African Mahogany, because I get both super cheap). It is a bit experimental, but I was also thinking that on the end grain, it may be ok. I gave them to family, and if the boards fall apart, they will still love me. On the plus side, cypress on the end grain looks really cool with its tight growth rings. All that said though, I'm not sure I would use cedar since it is even softer than the cypress. When I get back from a business trip, I'll add some pics.

Lee

James Combs
02-16-2010, 8:54 PM
As a fellow that likes food (don't we all). I would be afraid of imparting some sort of cedar taste into what ever I was cutting on the board. Cedar does have a high oil content. That's what makes it so hard to finish.

Harlan Theaker
02-16-2010, 9:43 PM
Before you start making a bunch of them, think about all of the reasons you would not want to use cedar. Then think of all the reasons that they are not commercially made of cedar and you will come up with an answer.

I definitely have given it quite a bit of thought. At the beginning I completely discounted the idea just because of the fact it is a softwood. However, as mentioned, I'm starting to reconsider after seeing cutting boards made of larch being commercially sold.

Larch rates a 590 on the Janka scale compared to 900 for cedar. Hardness was the main reason I initially didn't use cedar. So again, after seeing this other site and finding out they sell hundreds of larch boards every month, it is making me reconsider.

I currently sell boards at a few local places and my main reason for reconsidering now is cost. I would be able to make and sell cedar boards at a lower cost. With all that being said, I don't want to compromise my standards by providing an inferior product.

I realize a cedar board will not last as long as a maple board, but I'd like to give people another option of purchasing a good quality product at a lower price point.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Karl Card
02-16-2010, 9:54 PM
I sell cutting boards made of cedar but it is known upfront that the cedar boards are only for looks. I do not use butcher block oil on them at all. I finish them like i would a fine piece of something else. I made one for a woman out of cedar and walnut striped and it was beautfiul..
I usually ask the customer what do you want, usefull, looks or potholder...

Harlan Theaker
02-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Harlan - my first though was that cedar is way too soft for a cutting board. But after thinking about it, an end grain cedar board may really "heal" itself when used. Being so soft, I would be concerned about bacteria getting into the pores. Tell us how it works out.

My thoughts were along those lines as well. I'll see how well the 1st board holds up...

Harlan Theaker
02-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I sell cutting boards made of cedar but it is known upfront that the cedar boards are only for looks. I do not use butcher block oil on them at all. I finish them like i would a fine piece of something else. I made one for a woman out of cedar and walnut striped and it was beautfiul..
I usually ask the customer what do you want, usefull, looks or potholder...

Really? I've heard many times boards are "too nice to use", but I've never heard of anyone making a board that you can't use. Not sure why someone would want to purchase that...

Chip Lindley
02-18-2010, 5:34 PM
At least with cedar, your salad won't have any moths in it! LOL!!

Aside from the cedar oil present, which has it's own peculiar scent, I read long ago in FWW that open-grain woods (or soft woods) allow bacteria to enter the wood and potentially cause ill effects to a greater degree. Only a mineral oil finish was approved by the FDA as food-safe. (although some melt paraffin wax onto the surfaces and scrape it smooth) Adequate finish will repel most food juices, but why take a chance with softer woods?

Frank Drew
02-18-2010, 9:13 PM
Harlan,

I'd be reluctant to use cedar for a cutting board, for the reasons given, but a lot of cooks like to broil salmon on cedar planks (soaked first in water). You could make decoratively shaped ones that I'm sure people would like.

Karl Card
02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Really? I've heard many times boards are "too nice to use", but I've never heard of anyone making a board that you can't use. Not sure why someone would want to purchase that...

I am not sure either. But they are pretty and some people seem to think it would like nice in there kitchen. So I just ask them if they are not going to use it for cutting would they like a shiny finish on it, then go from there. I often find out nowdays that it is harder for me to tell what will sell and what wont. I just make it if ti sells i make more if it doesnt then i dont,,lol

Harlan Theaker
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Adequate finish will repel most food juices, but why take a chance with softer woods?

Simply put, cost. I have a good supply of reclaimed cedar and can probably easily get more in the future. Even if I was to buy it, the cost is still half of what I pay for maple.

Harlan Theaker
02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I just make it if ti sells i make more if it doesnt then i dont,,lol

Makes sense. Sometimes it's tough to know. Occasionally I work the same way.