PDA

View Full Version : band saw table inserts, how do you make them???

Michael Dunn
02-16-2010, 6:52 PM
Hey guys,

Another band saw issue here, different issue so I started a new thread to avoid confusion.

I bought some 2 1/2" zero clearance table inserts since mine did not have any when I bought it.

Of course, my table inserts is just a bit smaller than 2 1/2/".

I measured it as 2 31/64". Any tips on how to make my own. I would say that I would cut them on my band saw and them sand it smooth, but......

I have a 16" delta scroll saw. (no blades atm.)

I have been thinking that I will try to make at least one good circular template that fits my table and then route a bunch of inserts.

Once I get that far, any advice on cutting the perfect blade clearance?

Thanx,

shotgunn

Rod Sheridan
02-16-2010, 7:12 PM
I have been thinking that I will try to make at least one good circular template that fits my table and then route a bunch of inserts.

Once I get that far, any advice on cutting the perfect blade clearance?

Thanx,

shotgunn

I make mine on the lathe out of HDPE plastic.

I don't believe that there is the perfect blade clearance for a bandsaw since the blade always moves a little bit during cutting.

Regards, Rod.

Keith Westfall
02-16-2010, 9:45 PM
Cut them with a "fly cutter" on your drill press, with cutting edge turned to produce a straight inside edge. Get it set up, and make a few...

Michael Dunn
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry, what is a fly cutter? I haven't heard of that type of jig for a drill press. Do you have a pic?

Cut them with a "fly cutter" on your drill press, with cutting edge turned to produce a straight inside edge. Get it set up, and make a few...

Neil Brooks
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry, what is a fly cutter? I haven't heard of that type of jig for a drill press. Do you have a pic?

Behold ... the fly cutter.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/catalog/webFC53.jpg

Keith Westfall
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Yes, that would be it!

Jeff Duncan
02-23-2010, 1:17 PM
I don't make inserts since my BS doesn't use them. I do make zero clearance tops for the odd occasion I need one, which are much simpler than an insert.
I simply take a piece of scrap 1/4" mdf, or whatever you have lying around, size it roughly the size of your bandsaw top. I then set my fence to the edge of the top and run the scrap piece through the blade about halfway through the piece. Stop the saw, pull the piece out and flip it upside down, whaalah a perfect zero clearance base. You can use a little 2 sided tape to secure it in place and your ready to run.
good luck,
JeffD

Michael Dunn
02-27-2010, 3:06 AM
Awesome, mine is now on order and should be here Tuesday!!! After I posted the question, I realized what it was. Brain fart!

Thanx,

shotgunn

Behold ... the fly cutter.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/catalog/webFC53.jpg

Terry Beadle
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
If you have a lathe, take some hard wood like rock maple ( fine grained and tough ). Glue several pieces together with the end grain to the edge. Then turn to the correct outise diameter you need for the insert. Once you've built this stock ( maybe 6 inches long ), you have the material you need to slice off an insert when you need one. The thinness of the slice will be unique to your particular BS.

Michael Dunn
02-27-2010, 7:11 PM
I do not have a lathe. Even if I did, my bandsaw doesn't have a table insert. Although I could probably use Tempered Hardboard as a zero clearance table top to get the job done.

I wish I would have thought of that before.

Speaking of lathes, do you have any recommendations for a mid sized (and priced) lathe? Perhaps a benchtop, or something big enough to turn table or chair legs... Maybe I'll start another thread...

Thanx,

shotgunn

If you have a lathe, take some hard wood like rock maple ( fine grained and tough ). Glue several pieces together with the end grain to the edge. Then turn to the correct outise diameter you need for the insert. Once you've built this stock ( maybe 6 inches long ), you have the material you need to slice off an insert when you need one. The thinness of the slice will be unique to your particular BS.

Myk Rian
02-27-2010, 7:25 PM
No lathe recommendation here. Good idea to start a new thread instead of hijacking this one.

Michael;

I've used 1/4" lexan but it was a tedious task to make one, let alone 2 or more.
A ZCI could be made with a stock insert. Epoxy or JB Weld the slot closed, and cut a new slot.