PDA

View Full Version : Grand Rapids Michigan

Todd Hoppe
02-16-2010, 2:51 PM
Does anyone know of woodworking clubs in Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Dave Verstraete
02-16-2010, 8:09 PM
Todd
There is a woodworking guild that meets at Johnson's Workbench on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. , I think. Hudsonville??? I'm in Grandville. Hey Neighbor

Todd Hoppe
02-18-2010, 8:50 AM
Thanks! I'm just down Port Sheldon a few miles, actually in Georgetown Township. We are close!

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2010, 11:08 AM
This might be a bit out of date. When I lived in Michigan (moved 6-1/2 years ago) there was a store on 28th street -W of Broadmoor, but IIRC E of 131. Cannot remember the name of the store. They had hardwood lumber, all kinds of supplies, tools, machinery, and a big shop that was a "members" type of deal - you join up, and you can use the shop. Two - level store - retail upstairs, machinery and shop downstairs.

Aggravates me that I can't remember, because I bought my PM 60 jointer from them. Arrrgh.

Dave Verstraete
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Kent
That store closed a while ago. It was "Wood Source"

John M. Smith
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Dave, I just heard Johnsons is closing its GR store in April. That only leaves us Woodcraft. I hear there is a woodturning club that started today at East Kentwood high school. Thats good if you like spinny things.

John

Anthony Scott
02-21-2010, 9:44 AM
Dave, I just heard Johnsons is closing its GR store in April. That only leaves us Woodcraft. I hear there is a woodturning club that started today at East Kentwood high school. Thats good if you like spinny things.

John

Arghhh I hope they aren't closing! This is a great store!

Dave Verstraete
02-27-2010, 9:42 AM
Yea...It's closing. Check out their website. Now I have to drive to Charlotte to buy my lumber unless I find a suitable store that I can sort through the wood like Johnson's lets me.

Anthony Scott
02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Just saw that. I haven't heard of a place like them in GR. They will be offering a drop off service in GR, but you can't obviously browse the selection that way.
Woodcraft is trying to expand its wood selection, but it still doesn't compare.
Post here if you find anything.
Thanks

Matt Meiser
02-28-2010, 1:06 PM
Johnsons delivery prices in Michigan are really reasonable. I know to Ann Arbor its $50/order. Hardly worth the gas to drive to Charlotte. The best part is they pull the truck right up to you and help unload so much less handling. Of course you don't get to pick through the stock that way.

Eric Franklin
02-28-2010, 2:27 PM
The other option for lumber in GR would be to use someone that sells over the internet.

I heard good things about http://www.bellforestproducts.com/ (Bell Forest Products) in Ishpeming, MI. I have an order through them right now and I though shipping was pretty reasonable.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2010, 9:23 PM
I've got some maple that came from Bell--very nice stuff. A few times members of our club have done group buys.

Dick Strauss
03-01-2010, 12:48 AM
The Bell Forest prices are way too high IMO. I refuse to do business with them because of their not-so-honest dealings with our turning club. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2010, 6:40 AM
Kent
That store closed a while ago. It was "Wood Source"

I tried to find them a few months ago when I was in GR, so that explains why I couldn't.....

That was a nice store.