PDA

View Full Version : Watching DVDs on Windows 7 machine?

Jamie Buxton
02-16-2010, 1:50 PM
I have a new computer (an HP, running Windows 7). It came with an HP program for watching DVDs. However, the program doesn't have fast forward, which seems pretty dumb. Anybody have a recommendation for a program that I can use to watch movies? It doesn't have to be fancy -- forward, fast forward, and skip-to-next-chapter -- are really all I need. Free would be good, but not absolutely necessary.

Chuck Wintle
02-16-2010, 2:03 PM
I have a new computer (an HP, running Windows 7). It came with an HP program for watching DVDs. However, the program doesn't have fast forward, which seems pretty dumb. Anybody have a recommendation for a program that I can use to watch movies? It doesn't have to be fancy -- forward, fast forward, and skip-to-next-chapter -- are really all I need. Free would be good, but not absolutely necessary.
VLC media player for Windows...works well..has all the buttons you could want..even fast forward

Rick Davidson
02-16-2010, 7:45 PM
I second VLC it's the best it will play anything..

Bryan Morgan
02-17-2010, 5:42 PM
Windows 7 built in media player plays DVDs just fine... fast forward, chapters, whatever... Depending on what your associations are set to, you might have to launch the media player first (I'm guessing when you plop in a DVD it automatically launches HP's junk...).

Chuck Wintle
02-17-2010, 6:05 PM
Windows 7 built in media player plays DVDs just fine... fast forward, chapters, whatever... Depending on what your associations are set to, you might have to launch the media player first (I'm guessing when you plop in a DVD it automatically launches HP's junk...).

VLC plays anything...no questions asked..unlike MS junk.

Dave Lehnert
02-17-2010, 7:30 PM

Like he said above. Windows has a media player. Also my guess HP has it rigged to use their player when you pop in a DVD.