PDA

View Full Version : Do landscapers ever sand trees?

Stephen Tashiro
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
There are species of trees that shoot out too many suckers and small branches. On some of these, when you trim them, the part of the twig that is left on the tree will harden. It can form something like a thorn, especially if have (improperly) cut the twig at an angle. For example, on my Vitex trees, I can never seem to cut suckers and sprouts close enough to the ground or trunk to avoid this.

I wonder if landscapers ever use tools to grind and sand away these hazardous protrusions.

mickey cassiba
02-16-2010, 2:15 PM
Stephen, I'm no landscaper, but I've got that problem with a couple of yard trees. I just use a machete and a slicing cut down the trunk. I (usually) don't gouge the bark, and it leaves no stump of the shoot. Of course they grow back in three months, so I get a lot of practice.
Mick

Joe Pelonio
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not a landscaper, but I do bonsai, and one of my most used tools is a dremel. From what I learned doing them I also have touched up garden trees, but mostly to eliminate vertical suckers because if you just cut them off they put out 3 more each.