PDA

View Full Version : Halltree --Finished

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 7:53 PM
We have trying to get several things done at once which gets to be a job.
Anyhow the gardens are done and so are a couple of peices that you have watched getting built. I am going to put the halltree here and the Kentucky Coffee Wood Fern Stand over on the truning forum.
Hope you enjoy the pics---I am off to the sawmill in the morning:)

Michael Stafford
10-27-2004, 7:59 PM
As always, nice looking, Gary. Are you getting those big cedar mamas you had in the truck sawed up at the mill? Take pictures, I would love to see the planks coming from those two...

John Shuk
10-27-2004, 8:05 PM
That makes two of us. That hall tree is really pretty.

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 8:09 PM
Mike ---those logs came from the sawmill.
SWMBO and I unloaded them and they are standing in my shop.
We did anchor seal the ends but I needed the logs---they aint lumber.
I have a couple of things that we build that I need BIG logs for.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-27-2004, 8:21 PM
Real nice job. Having all that cedar around has to smell awesome! :D

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 8:41 PM
Gredo ---because I spent so much time in the shop.
I really don't smell the cedar anymore.

Louis Bois
10-27-2004, 8:58 PM
Rustic Victorian! What a great marriage of form and function. Bet you were up all night creating that masterpiece! ...and I bet it's a bear to move around as well.

Well done.

Keith Christopher
10-27-2004, 9:02 PM
OH I like ! Very much ! So shiny it looks wet or coated in ice or something !

John Miliunas
10-27-2004, 9:17 PM
Nice halltree, Gary! :) Say, do you build *anything* small?! :confused: Between this and those great big stumps you showed off yesterday, I'm figuring you always think BIG! :cool:

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 9:34 PM
John this whole thing got started because I got sick of store bought furniture falling apart. I wanted to build furniture that would last awhile and I wanted something that no one else had.

John Miliunas
10-27-2004, 9:36 PM
John this whole thing got started because I got sick of store bought furniture falling apart. I wanted to build furniture that would last awhile and I wanted something that no one else had.

Well, if that halltree "falls apart", then your whole STATE is in some kind of serious trouble! :eek: :cool:

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 9:41 PM
John ---I ain't taking it to any shows. It's about 80 foot from the shop door to the showroom and I like never got it moved. Margie finished it about 10 feet from where you see it sitting now. See my Boston Whaler sitting behind it???

Todd Burch
10-27-2004, 9:45 PM
Gary, how are your stripping your cedar bark? Guys around here use a pressure washer.

Todd

Gary Max
10-27-2004, 9:51 PM
The hard way
Ice pick and a sharp knife.
Ok it really aint all that bad.
I am useing wood that is dry---most of the time it comes off pretty easy.
Folks that are useing pressure washer's are in a hurry---we take our time.
There are 5 small log--rounds---in the halltree.
I would guess that I spent maybe 2 hours cleaning the bark off them.

Bruce Page
10-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Gary, that turned out beautifully! It's a one of a kind, fer sure!

Martin Lutz
10-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Gary,

wow, great looking hall tree. Is it for personal use? By the way, I see the boat in the background, Hows the fishin?

Gary Max
10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
I am a spring time fisherman---rest of the year I just try am keep up with everything .
Oh it's for sale---it may sit in that spot for years before someone comes along and has to have. Which is fine we ain't in no hurry.