PDA

View Full Version : My first funnel

Matt Newton
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Well it was bound to happen. I got the McNaughton center saver a few months agoand have been to chicken to try it. Today was theday to break it out and give it a go. I think my aim might have ben a little off though.

Paul Atkins
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
At least the center is saved. It could have been all chips and then blown out the bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Great opportunity for a large footed bowl!

James Combs
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Very salvageable don't you think? If you can re-chuck the funnel on it's large end and dress up the bottom hole so that a contrasting base can be fitted and glued in and then maybe fit the top with a lid of the same contrasting wood, I think you would still end up with a show-able piece. The lid might have some sort of finial on it.:)

Well it was bound to happen. I got the McNaughton center saver a few months agoand have been to chicken to try it. Today was theday to break it out and give it a go. I think my aim might have ben a little off though.

Gary Chester
02-16-2010, 1:05 PM
Yup... I know how that feels.

Mark Patoka
02-16-2010, 1:09 PM
Looks like you have a potential nesting funnel-mate sitting there just waiting to get chucked up.

Mike Golka
02-16-2010, 2:12 PM
At least the center is saved. It could have been all chips and then blown out the bottom.

Is that why it's called a "center saver"?

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2010, 7:34 PM
Is that why it's called a "center saver"?

ROFLOL Now Mike my keyboard has dr pepper spewed all over it.:D:D

Matt sorry about the funnel. It is just another learning experience in turning. You could put a contrasting wood on the bottom and finish but even myself I have quit that. Get another chunk and give it a go.

David E Keller
02-16-2010, 8:37 PM
Overall, nice form and color, but the opening is a little irregular for my taste.:rolleyes:

Kyle Iwamoto
02-16-2010, 8:42 PM
Nice funnel! I made a few. Probably make more too...... The McNaughton does take a little time to learn.

Ron Lynch
02-16-2010, 9:09 PM
About two pounds of coffee grounds and a quart of CA and you'll be back in business. Have fun

Randy Walker
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey Mat
True up the hole and turn a heavy finial to use as a handle, then turn a platter to go under it and use it as a cake cover. No such thing as scrap. Only design opportunities.:eek:

Randy Walker

Reed Gray
02-17-2010, 1:48 AM
It looks like you aimed straight down the side of the bowl, rather than pointing in more towards the center. When I was filming some coring once, I went right through the bottom of a bowl as well, and that was with the laser pointer on the coring system. It made the out takes section.

I hold the blade up against the outside of the bowl before coring. If it has the same curve or is a bit flatter than the bowl, then you have to aim more towards the center of the bowl. If the blade has more curve than the outside of the bowl, then you aim more right down the side of the bowl.

robo hippy