PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Microsoft Publisher

Mike Henderson
02-16-2010, 10:47 AM
This is waaaay off topic but there seems to be some really knowledgeable computer people here.

Microsoft seems to have dropped development of Publisher - the last (buggy) version was 2007. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced alternative to it?

The emphasis is on "reasonably priced" - and easy to use.

It doesn't have to read Publisher files because I can use Publisher to modify existing documents.

Mike

[I have found Scribus so any comments on it will be appreciated, especially on ease of use.]

paul cottingham
02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Scribus is supposed to be as easy (or hard) to use as publisher, just different. I suspect the learning curve is just like it was every time MS changed the interface from 97 to 2007.

Matt Meiser
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Office 2007 is the current release of the entire Office suite. Office 2010 is in Beta and includes Publisher. http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/publisher/default.aspx

Mitchell Andrus
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I miss my old Publisher days. It was a great poor-man's tool and still serves me well when I need to print something that's still stuck in its bowels. I now use Corel Draw to run the laser and output most stuff on paper and to design magazine ads.

Mike Henderson
02-16-2010, 1:22 PM
Office 2007 is the current release of the entire Office suite. Office 2010 is in Beta and includes Publisher. http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/publisher/default.aspx
That's good news. Thanks. I thought Publisher was an orphan.

Mike

Dave Johnson29
02-16-2010, 1:29 PM
Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced alternative to it?

How about free, Mike. Depending on how elaborate the Desktop Publishing need is, Draw in Open Office is pretty cool and easy to use.

Mike Henderson
02-16-2010, 2:24 PM
How about free, Mike. Depending on how elaborate the Desktop Publishing need is, Draw in Open Office is pretty cool and easy to use.
Thanks, Dave. Now that I know that Publisher is still supported I'd rather pay and stay with that. It will be compatible with everything I've done, and I know how to operate it. I don't relish having to learn a new tool.

Mike

Myk Rian
02-16-2010, 2:52 PM
I refuse to line the pockets of Microshaft. Therefore, I use Open Office. It's free.

Dave Johnson29
02-16-2010, 9:00 PM
I don't relish having to learn a new tool.

The longest journey starts with a single step. :D

I am with Myk, free is good so I can invest that saved money in learning the new software. But hey, I am cheap and retired. :eek:

paul cottingham
02-16-2010, 9:38 PM
I refuse to line the pockets of Microshaft. Therefore, I use Open Office. It's free.

+1 on Open Office

Paul Atkins
02-17-2010, 1:09 PM
I use Open Office on the PC and Neo Office (same thing) on my Mac. I like it so much I send them money every so often. I really liked Corel, but no support for Mac kinda got me. Adobe stuff seems a bit convoluted by comparison.