PDA

View Full Version : DW735 extension table adjustment question

Bill Fitch
02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
All you guys with DW735 planers and the extension tables, did you adjust them after installation or leave them as delivered? The way mine came, they both slope upward quite a bit and are not parallel to the planer bed at all. I would guess the outside edge is about 1/4" higher than the bed. The instructions do not even mention adjustment, but I can see the screws and slots on the side of the tables.

What is the best adjustment? Should I just make them parallel to the bed, or raise them just a tad?

Any guidence is much appreciated.

Bill

Rick Moyer
02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
No expert here and I don't remember why or how much, but mine are adjusted slightly higher to help eliminate snipe on the ends of boards. 1/4" seems like a lot, I would adjust them slightly to where you get no snipe. this may be flat, but as I said, I adjusted mine slightly higher. Sorry I can't remeber if that was in the instructions or I got it somewhere else.

Chuck Isaacson
02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I would say, if you are happy with the results that you are getting right now, then dont mess with them. If you are getting a lot of snipe then you may need to adjust them.

Myk Rian
02-16-2010, 12:25 PM
The rule of thumb is to adjust the outer edges so a straight edge across the bed is raised the thickness of a penny.

Scott Rollins
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Mine are adjusted up about a little less than 1/8" (works well for both narrow and 13" wide boards). When working with long heavy boards, very dense stock, or planer sleds I will adjust up till the snipe goes away or is acceptable.

Scott Donley
02-16-2010, 1:13 PM
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/?sssdmh=dm17.429046&bcpid=41945862001&bclid=1339078517&bctid=62359659001&esrc=nwwood&email=1338044669

Nice video That was postd before. Just go to the one "beat planer snipe"

David Prince
02-16-2010, 2:37 PM
The video explains it. My extensions wouldn't have provided any support without adjustment if I would have left them at the factory setting.

I got my extensions a week or so ago and put them on. I then adjusted them in the same fashion as the video. I was still getting leading edge snipe about 1 1/2 inches into the leading edge. I also ramped up the in and out feed to try and counter this. I am still getting noticeable snip on that leading edge. My next check was to see if the bed was flat under the blade portion or if there were a ripple in the bed that causes it to raise up inside while cutting. I haven't gotten any further at this time due to time constraints. Is there something I am missing?

Larry Frank
02-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I have the infeed side almost flat and the outfeed end up the thickness of a penny or so. With this arrangement, I am getting very little snipe. I should mention that I usually do not plane boards any longer than 4 feet or so and that would effect the snipe. With a longer board, you have a lot of board(weight) hanging out the end and could result in snipe.

Bill Fitch
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks all. I will dial it in and make sawdust this weekend!

Bill

glenn bradley
02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
The rule of thumb is to adjust the outer edges so a straight edge across the bed is raised the thickness of a penny.

Definitely adjust them properly. My dad's 735 does well at the penny height Myk describes. My 734 gives no snipe at all but, a straight edge liad through the machine and resting on the outer edge of each table sets about 1/8" off the platen.