PDA

View Full Version : Southwest wisconsin woodworking club

Jeff Sudmeier
02-16-2010, 9:44 AM
Just was wondering if anyone knew of any woodworking clubs in Southwest Wisconsin, spring green or Madison area?

I went to a meeting where one might be started a few years ago but I don't know that anything came of it...

Tom McMahon
02-16-2010, 9:51 AM
Jeff,
I was at the same meeting and always wondered what happened, may be we should try again.

Chuck Isaacson
02-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I have never heard of one, but am willing to try and get something going. Even if it is just going over to someones house and having a beer and shooting the $h!&. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Joel Ficke
02-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm a few hours north of Madtown but am also interested in seeing a good woodworking community get going in our state.

Jeff Dunlap
02-16-2010, 1:08 PM
I am from kenosha I couple hours from Madison but I'd be interested if you don't mind a newbie

Rick Dohm
02-16-2010, 7:53 PM
I'm in Verona and would also be interested. My "shop" space might sometimes be available at times for get togethers as well (near Menard's west).

Rick Dohm

Rob Wright
02-16-2010, 9:39 PM
I would be interested as well - even to get together and have a few cold ones with people that are like to mess around in their shops.

- BTW - Chuck - nice meeting you at the WW show in Milwaukee - R

eugene thomas
02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
black river falls here.

Chuck Isaacson
02-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I would be interested as well - even to get together and have a few cold ones with people that are like to mess around in their shops.

- BTW - Chuck - nice meeting you at the WW show in Milwaukee - R

Nice to meet you too. How did ya guess it was me? I am thinking wheelchair.

As for the woodworking get together, I have shop space that would support a few people. Maybe we could do something where it rotates from one persons house to another. Lets build this thing. I had mentioned something like this to Rob a month or two ago.

Rob Wright
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice to meet you too. How did ya guess it was me? I am thinking wheelchair. Well, yes it was the wheel chair along with the fact that I saw a picture of you when you went to the Woodwright's shop with Roy Underhill.

My shop - ok I mean garage - is pretty cramped right now with my shop toys and some half completed projects, but overall this would be a nice way to meet so people and discuss projects:)

Jason Hanko
02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
My free time is roughly equivalent to my woodworking budget (severely low to non-existent) - but Id be interested too!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2010, 7:45 AM
Madison seems to win out, any volunteers to host?

I would but my shop is a one car garage and it's crammed full! :)

Chuck Isaacson
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I could probably host it.. I just need to know some dates and times. How many people do we think might actually come to this?

Gregory Stahl
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi guys,

There is an active guild in the Madison area. We meet all over the area at different shops, every month.

Here is a link to the group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/madwoodworkers/

Some of the shops are in basements, but many are wheelchair accessible, mine included.

Last meeting was about a week ago, the next meeting has not been announced yet.

Hope to see some of you around.

If you guys want to meet before-hand, my shop in Oregon is always open. One of you might have been over already--can't remember who though.........my bad.

Greg Stahl

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I signed up for the guild. Note- Just because it's a yahoo group doesn't mean you have to get the email at yahoo. YOu can define another email to get group messages from.

I think it would be good to join an existing guild instead of setting up our own? Thoughts?

Samuel Butler
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I live in Verona

Chuck Isaacson
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
I think that it would be smarter to join an existing. I had no idea about this. No sense having two compete with each other..

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2010, 2:50 PM
Agreed, there are 90 members for this group. I'm sure only a percentage go to the meetings, but still 90 contacts is significant.

Bob Falk
02-17-2010, 5:17 PM
I helped form the Badger Woodturners club in Madison about 10 years ago and it has been a great sucess (currently 80-100 members, meetings regularly get 50 people), so there is plenty of interest in the Madison area. Bob