PDA

View Full Version : electric drill

james matthews
10-27-2004, 6:55 PM
I have an electric veriable speed drill and i would like to change the chuck key type to one that isn't and i tryed to get it off but coulden't get the screw to turn, is it a right hand thread or is it just being stubbern.

Dave Crabbs
10-27-2004, 7:17 PM
The screw is a left hand thread. You need to turn it to the right to loosen it. I just saw them do it on Ask This Old House. Remove the screw out of the chuck. Then take a allen wrench and put the small leg of the allen wrench into the chuck and tighten it up. Holding on to the chuck use a rubber mallet to rap the long leg of the allen wrench to spin it Counter Clock wise to remove the chuck body from the drill motor.
Hope this helps,
Dave
p.s. Just noticed this is your first post and wanted to Welcome you to the Creek. You will find a lot of good information here and maybe some one could explain this a little better then I did ;)

John Miliunas
10-27-2004, 7:28 PM
James, it appears that Dave has given the "Drill Chucks 101" course, so I won't bother with that end of it. However, I will echo his "Welcome" to the Creek! :) Many of us find this place to be "one stop shopping" when looking for advice, a laugh or two, a lesson on most anything or just a friendly ear to listen! :D Stop in often, stay long but, be warned, don't let any dust settle on your camera! We LOVE pics! :D :cool: