PDA

View Full Version : First tool gloat? w/pictures

Wayne Hendrix
02-16-2010, 1:56 AM
The day after Jim Koepke wisely advised me to pass on an ebay Stanley #4 I picked up this Millers Falls No. 9 for $25 from the local classified listings.

I believe that it is a Type 3 and looks to be in excellent condition. The only issue that I could see under initial inspection was a loose tote which I correctly suspected was a loose screw.

The mouth looks good and other than a couple moderately deep scratches behind the name and number on the right side and some paint on the sole the surfaces look good. The blade looks just fine other than needing to be ground and honed. I havent checked the sole or the blade for flatness. There is some rust on the blade and sole but theydont appear to be pitted.

I took it apart and washed it with some dishsoap and a brush. That removed more than half of the rust and has it looking really good.

I am probably going to let it soak in some citric acid to remove the rest of the rust and then tune it up. I am really excited. I have really been wanting a smoothing plane and this will be my first plane. Well technically second plane as I already have a Millers Falls No. 22 ($35) but that one needs more work and I really wanted to start learning to use hand planes with something smaller.

George Sanders
02-16-2010, 7:03 AM
I too have a Miller's Falls #9 and that is my "go to" plane out of the 3 smoothers I have. I really like the heft as it is a little beefier than a Stanley.

Mike Siemsen
02-16-2010, 9:20 AM
I wouldn't soak it in citric acid, it is pretty clean already. Just hit it with a purple scotch bright. Nice plane!
Mike

jerry nazard
02-16-2010, 9:54 AM
I agree with Mike. No acid.

Millers Falls planes are wonderful. If you ever run across a #10, snatch it up. Same goes for an 8 or a 16....

Joe Cunningham
02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Hone the blade and put that beauty to work. :D Turned out great.

Wayne Hendrix
02-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree with you guys that it doesnt need to soak in the citric acid, the only reason I was thinking of doing it is because I need to soak my No. 22 at the same time. If I have time this weekend I will get the blade honed and give it a try.

Bob Easton
02-16-2010, 11:55 AM
That is one FINE looking plane! Great gloat.

David Gendron
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Good looking plane indeed! with what look like a full lenght blade!
I' think your in for a lot of fun shaving!

Jim Koepke
02-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Looks like you found a great deal. I think you will find an acid soak may cause more to clean up than you already have. Try the #22 by itself before you try soaking this beauty.

jim

Dave Matson
02-16-2010, 1:14 PM
TWO MF planes already!? Sounds like you have a case of Red Frog fever. I've been sick for about 2 years now. Its a chronic condition. :D

Brian Ward
02-16-2010, 2:00 PM
That is indeed a type 3, though if that blade adjustment nut is brass, it's off of a type 2. Sometimes there is overlap between the types. In my unfortunately-too-large accumulation of MF planes, I have a type 4 with a type 2 nut.

Wayne Hendrix
02-16-2010, 7:19 PM
The nut is brass, but everything else is type 3. Would it come from the factory with the brass nut or is it more likely a replacement later? From the condition of the plane I doubt that the owner damaged or even lost an original part off the plane.

I checked the No.22 and it is a type 2 but I am not sure if it is pre- or post-WWII. Is there a way to tell?

I will skip the acid bath with the No. 9 which is good because I dont have any and dont know where to get any. Hopefully I can get the plane sharpened this week and see how well I can use it.

michael case
02-16-2010, 7:48 PM
How come I can never get a plane like this? All I find is junk. NICE tool dude!

Brian Ward
02-16-2010, 7:48 PM
Sometimes, the postwar type 2s have "solid tool steel" stamped on the top of the blade.