PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable 690 Router/ Dewalt 618 ??’s About Each

richard poitras
02-15-2010, 11:31 PM
For those of you that have the PC 690 router combo kit I am looking to see what you think of the plunge base? I am thinking about getting the kit so I can install the fixed base in my new Multi-Router and use the router motor in the plunge base when needed. I have seen the fixed base but never the plunge. Does it go in and out of the base as easily as the fixed base? And how well does the plunge base work? I looked at the Bosch 1617 but found it difficult to exchange bases. Where the PC went in and out very effortlessly. What are you thoughts? Or possible the Dewalt DW618 (same type of question and applications)

Thanks Richard

Clint Winterhalter
02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I've got the 690 kit. The stationary base is mounted in my router table. I swap between a d-handle base and the plunge base when I use it free hand. The only part I don't like about the plunge base is you need an allen wrench to lock the motor in place / remove. The fixed base / d-handle base have a flip lock lever that locks the motor in place. Not a show stopper just a nuisance. Other than that the plunge base works well.

Clint

Mac McQuinn
02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Richard,
I have the D-Handle PC 691 and added the PC plunge base recently through a eBay purchase. I have used it with the plunge base a 1/2 dozen times and find it smooth to use and easy to set depth of cut on. Motor slides in easily. I feel it was a good purchase and well thought out & built tool. I loaned it to my son to do several deep mortises in red oak for a craftsman bed project and He felt very secure using the plunge router with a edge guide as a beginning woodworker.

Mac

Larry Nall
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I like the plunge base but find swapping between the two is a nuisance.
I wouldn't mind having two 690s so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Chip Lindley
02-16-2010, 1:08 AM
+1 on No Swapping! Over the years I've acquired a stable of 690 motors with all the bases. Three fixed, two D-handle, and one plunge base. The 690 motors are real workhorses and have earned their keep! I like having only ONE pair of collet wrenches to find at bit-changing time! Even the big 7518 and 7538 P-C's share the same collets.

Cary Falk
02-16-2010, 2:35 AM
I have the DW618 3 base kit and a fixed base 690. I like my DW618 way better then the 690. The motor slides smoother then the 690. the DW618 is my first plunge router. The only problem I have with it is I keep hitting the plunge release/lock while I am routing. The plunge portion of it is very smooth.

George Sanders
02-16-2010, 6:55 AM
I have 2 PC 690 routers. I keep one in the router table at all times. I have the plunge, D-handle and stationary bases as well as the edge guide. This setup gives me the versatility to perform any routing operation that I need to do.

Curt Harms
02-16-2010, 8:24 AM
is sweet-the same plunge base as the DW 618 machined to fit the 890 motors. That base doesn't work with the 690 motors without modification though. The 690 motor has 4 pins, the 890 plunge base has 2 slots for pins.

John McClanahan
02-16-2010, 8:29 AM
I have a DW618 3 base kit. I wanted a kit with a D handle base. I'm no expert, but I did compare brands. I felt that DeWalt has a better design for swapping bases. Finding a like new kit on ebay at a really good price may have helped in the decision, too.

John

richard poitras
02-17-2010, 8:25 AM
Thanks for all the input and your thoughts for the routers. I guess it’s time to price shop.
Richard

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2010, 9:34 AM
oops - never mind - I should have read the whole opening post.

Jim Heffner
02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't have those PC routers you mentioned, but I do have the Dewalt 616.
The 616 and 618 are alike,except the 618 has a little more hp. I bought the plunge base from a seller on e-bay a couple of years back, because of the
fact of how easy it is to change from one base to another. I like the Dewalt
616/618 router better than any of the other routers that I own.