PDA

View Full Version : First olive turnings

alex carey
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Here is the first of the olive and also a carob mug.

The platter had a bit of punky wood but came out pretty nice. It's hard to tell with these pictures but the platter is quite concave.

C&C welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Those are really nice Alex. I really like that olive wood. Beautiful.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Looks good Alex! Real pretty grain on the Olive! Really like all the colors on the Carob!

Mike Lipke
02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Did you like the smell?
Green olives.

Baxter Smith
02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Great grain. See wood here I have never even heard of before! Carob?

alex carey
02-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Carob is pretty popular wood around here, Nice wood, doesn't crack much and can be quite pretty.

http://www.bethlehemolivewood.net/Blood.jpg

Can be very pretty stuff.
http://www.schoolhousewoodcrafts.com/images/carob_reindeer.jpg

My garage reeked of olive today, I was happy about it though, I like the smell.

John Keeton
02-16-2010, 5:50 AM
The first of many!! Nice pieces, and I particularly like the platter. Very nice coloration.

Donny Lawson
02-16-2010, 6:34 AM
I like the grain pattern.That's some nice wood.
Donny

Roland Martin
02-16-2010, 6:41 AM
Nice wood Alex, looking forward to seeing some more of your work in olive.

charlie knighton
02-16-2010, 7:32 AM
very ncie....

Brent Stout
02-16-2010, 9:34 AM
This seems like a good place to jump in. I found this forum a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading the comments and seeing the work of people who love woodworking as I do. This Christmas I saw some pictures of tree ornaments and thought I would give it a try. It was like eating peanuts, once you start, it’s hard to stop. The first picture is a hollow globe made from an olive limb that fell in my yard during a storm this winter, the finials are of ebony. Picture two is a sample of some of the other ornaments, several others were given as gifts.

Thanks for reading
Brent

alex carey
02-16-2010, 2:37 PM
Welcome Brent, those are some nice ornaments. I would suggest starting a new thread though, otherwise people don't know that you are posting pictures of your work.

Brent Stout
02-16-2010, 9:27 PM
Welcome Brent, those are some nice ornaments. I would suggest starting a new thread though, otherwise people don't know that you are posting pictures of your work.

Thanks Alex, I was enjoying the beautiful turnings you made with the olive wood, and was going to simply share the ornament that was made from the “home grown” olive wood, but being my first post on Sawmill Creek, I got carried away introducing my own work. I did try to delete the post, so that I could begin my own thread, but alas, I see it’s still here. Sorry about detracting from your wonderful turnings.

Brent

alex carey
02-16-2010, 9:31 PM
haha, please don't worry at all, its not at all a big deal, just thought you'd get more media coverage off of a new thread.

People love to welcome newcomers.

David E Keller
02-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Nice work Alex and Brent, and welcome aboard Brent. I'm jealous of the olive wood available to you guys. It's beautiful stuff, and I love the smell. Looking forward to more pics from both of you.