PDA

View Full Version : urn help, i think i am alright but just checking

Chris Haas
02-15-2010, 8:58 PM
my grandfather asked me to turn an urn, that being said, i would rather it be on the shelf for a decade rather than just a little to late.

i turned it last night, its about 9 inches tall and 8 inches round at the widest part simply put the most challenging piece i've ever hollowed.

it was out of a maple crotch end grain hollowing, ok, heres the question

i sanded the outside to 180, put it in a brown bag with some shavings around it, then put it in another brown bag with the tops of the bag tucked into the opening.

it really came out great if i do say so myself [at least i think so] so i dont want to lose it, does this sound adequate enough for drying?

thanks in advance. pics to come after it is finished.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2010, 9:07 PM
Chris- I have used that same method before and it will work - but the real deciding factor is how even the thickness of the urn is. At this point - you will have to be patient and give nature time to work.

Looking forward to seeing the completed piece even though it will remain unused for many more years!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 9:35 PM
I hope it turns out well for you. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Ed Frie
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
If your grandfather asked for that urn for what urns are often used for, lets hope it sits waiting on the shelf for many, many years before you need it.