PDA

View Full Version : Table saw questions

Bob Worrel Jr.
10-27-2004, 2:11 PM
I'm new to this forum, but just by reading a couple of posts I realize this has a group of knowledgable woodworkers. Although new to this forum, I've been woodworking for a number of years now. Almost 40. Where'd the time go? But wait, you're here in this post because of the table saw questions I have. Alright then.
I'm building a new shop and garage, the wife says garage and Bob's room. I want to start off with a new table saw. My Craftsman bit the dust during our move to this house 3 years ago. I've been without a shop for 3 years. Enough's enough. It's time. I've been looking at the Grizzly G1023SL. I'm use to the Craftsman's HP of 1 3/4 and was wondering how the Grizzly 3 HP holds up under a work load. When I start cabinets I usually cut up all the styles and rails at one time. The Craftsman would blow the thermo coupler and I'd have to wait 15 minutes to be able to reset it. Do these larger TS's have limits like that?

Also...The fence. I bought a Vega fence system for the Craftsman a number of years ago. I paid more for the fence then the saw. Anyway...Does anyone know if the Vega will fit on the Grizzly table saw? No sense in buying the extended table from Grizzly if the Vega will fit.

Thanks for any help on this. I'm looking forward to the replies.
Thanks, from drizzly North Carolina.

Chris Padilla
10-27-2004, 2:14 PM
Bob,

My Griz 1023Z 3 HP motor has yet to bog down on anything. I think as long as you wire it for 240 V, you should be in good shape. I've had my Griz going on 4 years now and zero problems. Dunno about the Vega fence fitment.

Donnie Raines
10-27-2004, 2:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek!...good people here.

The Grizley saw has received kudos from lots of people...both from a quailty stand point and for the price point it hits. Frankly, I have not used the saw so it is difficult to reply intelligently about it. If you dont sell yourself on any of the new saws on the market, try locating a used tool dealer in your general area...or even an auction. I picked up a Powermatic saw not long ago for a fraction of the price of a new saw. Of coarse you need to look the items over real good prior to buying/bidding.

Frank Pellow
10-27-2004, 2:36 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Bob!

That a great looking building you have there! Are you doing it all yourself?
What portion of the building is workshop? I maintain a thread where we record the characteristics of member's shops (e.g. dimensions and location). The thread is at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12202 Please send me the characteristics of your shop.

I had similar problems with my old Craftsman table saw and I finally gave up on it two weeks ago. I am still searching for the right table saw to replace it, but I can say that it will be a cabinet saw with good dust control and it will be wired to use 240 volts. I certainly expect this to solve the "blow the fuse" problem (as well as many other problems that I had with my old saw).

Ted Shrader
10-27-2004, 2:36 PM
Bob -

Welcome to the Creek. Pull up a stump and sit a while.

Looks like Bob's Land will be easily accessible. What size will the shop be?

Regards,
Ted

Michael Stafford
10-27-2004, 3:08 PM
Welcome, Bob! As you outfit "Bob's Room", please post pictures so we can see a shop in progress as Frank Pellow has done with his shop. The more pictures the better as it keeps the peanut gallery happy. The Creek is a fun informative place. Oh yeah, the saw question, get a good one...

Bob Aquino
10-27-2004, 3:11 PM
Bob
I cut my teeth on a sears table saw for about 15 years and I upgraded it with a sears fence (actually a Xmas gift from my wife one year) and I know she paid closed to 300 for it from sears. About 4 years ago I bought a reconditioned unisaw sight unseen from Redmond and sons. They were selling them for 1000 with a 50" beismeyer. Was a very good deal, the saw looked and ran like it was brand new. Compared to the old cman saw, it is like night and day. Sorta like jumping from an old vw bug to a mercedes.
Of all the grizzly products, I would probably have the least hesitation on buying that 1023 saw. I still like to buy local, but have heard nothing but good things about that saw. A fellow at my last job bought one and he was very happy with it. Most of the time, you really can't get a new saw without a fence so I would plan on selling the fence and recouping maybe 100-150 bucks once it is sold. Whichever one you get, have fun with it. After 40 years of woodworking, you deserve it...

Steve Clardy
10-27-2004, 3:11 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Nice house too.
I have the 3hp 1023 griz, since 1994. Lots of power. I have since upgraded the fence with a Accuasquare. The early griz fences weren't too desirable, at least mine wasn't.
They have some good fences now.
The Vega ought to fit with a little enginering, drilling holes for the rails, etc.
Mine has been very reliable, only replacing the belts and switch just recently.
Steve

Clint deal
10-27-2004, 3:15 PM
Welcome Bob, I just bought the same model Grizzly and love it so far. I had a Jet contractor saw before this that I had put an aftermarket Biesymier fence on it. I moved it over to the Grizzly with little to no problems. So far all I've run through this new left tilting beast is some 4/4 maple. A knife through hot butter comes to mind. lol
I don't thing the 3hp Grizzly's are capable of running on 120volts. Not that I need it too but I did'nt see anything in the owners manual about it.
Clint

Dean Baumgartner
10-27-2004, 4:04 PM
Bob,
I have the 50" Vega pro fence. Had it mounted on a Delta motorized saw. Mounting to that saw took less than an hour. When I upgraded to the new Bridgewood even though it came with a Bies clone I wanted to stay with the Vega. Again it took me less than an hour. I drilled 1 new hole in one of the extension wings to accomodate the support for the front side rail. The Vega is one of the easiest mounting fences around. You should have no problem mounting the Vega on your new saw. The ony problem is what to do with the fence that comes with the Griz. They typically only want to give less than half of the purchase price of the fence as credit if you don't get a fence with the saw.

Dean

Greg Narozniak
10-27-2004, 4:09 PM
I was in the same boat not too long ago. I was upgrading from a powermatic 64A ( Good saw I just wanted to upgrade to a cabinet saw and was able to sell it to a good friend ) I took the pilgrimage to Grizzly in PA (4 hours one way :( ) to pick up a G0555 bandsaw and I studied the 1023sl for over a ½ an hour and I was very impressed with the fit and finish.

When I finally did upgrade I bought a Unisaw. The reason was because I wanted a 50" fence and left tilt and a mobile base. By the time I added all that up with shipping ( Or Tax if I picked it up ) it was almost $1300 from Grizzly which put me in the Bridgewood cabinet saw price range. Another Very nice and well made saw with great product backing (from Wilke) but with shipping it was almost $1400 ( Or Tax if I picked it up ) and the Unisaw was $1499. Woodworkers Supply has free shipping with a 50" Biesemeyer Commercial fence, Table and legs and a Mobile base.

Bottom Line if I was looking for a cabinet saw with a 30" fence I would have probably bought a 1023. I really do not think you can go wrong, But evaluate your needs and do all the math!

Good Luck and post your decision :)

Kurt Loup
10-27-2004, 4:22 PM
My friend has a Vega fence on his Grizzly cabinet saw. Not sure if new holes were needed. I had a Vega on a Craftsman contractor saw, but recently installed the fence on a 10 year old Jet cabinet saw I purchased. The Vega fit without drilling new holes.

Kurt

Kent Cori
10-27-2004, 4:34 PM
Bob,

First we're glad to have you join the SMC community. It's always good to have another fellow wader.

I've had the SL for a little over two years now. During that time not one even minor thing has gone wrong. It is a tremendous saw and an real bargain IMHO.

I like the Shop Fox Classic fence quite well but I'm sure you can fit a Vega fence to it without too much trouble. You can always order the Griz compenents later if the Vega won't work out.

If you shoot me a Personal Message (PM) with your email address, I'll send you a word file that describes my experiences with picking up the saw and setup. It may help when you get to that point yourself.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2004, 4:42 PM
Bob....welcome to the 'Creek! Lot's of neat people hang out here trading information and ideas.....Warning...we have a couple "Photo Cops"....you'll hear from them.....Gloats aren't official without pics! Again....Welcome!

Chris Padilla
10-27-2004, 4:45 PM
Speaking of pics, how the shop coming along? I wanna see pics of electrical progress so I can nitpick you to death! ;)

Bob Worrel Jr.
10-27-2004, 5:16 PM
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'm sure I'll make a choice on TS real soon. The garage will have 100 amp service in it. That should be enough for the TS, welder and other power tools along with heat and air. Need air in the south. I'll update with pics along the way.
Thanks again to all

Chris Padilla
10-27-2004, 5:43 PM
Bob,

I would try to go more than 100 A but that is the over-engineering engineer in me speaking. :) I wouldn't go less than 200 A and I would get as large a service panel as possbile.

I was lucky that my electrical panel had been updated (well, updated in the early 80s I think...bought the house in 1999.) from the typical 100 A that everyone in my neighborhood has to 150 A. How nice and lucky for me! I am now gutting/remodeling my garage/shop and taking advantage of the extra slots and current. :)

Ed Breen
10-27-2004, 5:43 PM
Bob,
Ditto the many welcomes.
Like you I had an old craftsman table saw, I put an accusquare fence on it, built a cabinet around it which I weighted at the bottom with railroad track hunks. I now run a 5hp 3ph 1023 and am as happy as a toad in green! However, I still keep the old Craftsman on which I use a dado blade and sometimes a molder. I also bought the accusquare router table so my CM still is utile.
Ed :cool:

John Miliunas
10-27-2004, 7:34 PM
Bob, you've gotten enough opinions on the Grizz and, seeing as to how I own a Bridgewood, it wouldn't be of much help! :rolleyes: BUT, I can still extend my "welcome" to the Creek! :) Swell place to hang out! Hey, nice looking shop, BTW! :) :cool: