PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia on the Hoof

Frank Frazier
02-15-2010, 7:39 PM
Hi, I am another lurker here on the Turner's Forum and it is time to jump in. This will be my first thread.

I had to take down a Sugar Maple that was about 18" at the butt to make room for an expansion to the greenhouse. I was pleasantly surprised with what was inside. I took down an even bigger Maple 2 years ago and those blanks are waiting under my bench for a bigger lathe, but that is another story.

I started processing these today and sealing them (Anchorseal).

There is also a smaller ash mixed in.

David E Keller
02-15-2010, 7:46 PM
Great gloat! i hope you at least consider turning an end grain HF out of one of the maple pieces... That 'burst' pattern in the heartwood might look great spreading down the top/sides of a hollow form.

Walt Helms
02-15-2010, 7:54 PM
Wow...Very nice!

Don't have much of that down here in FL!!!

Enjoy!

John Keeton
02-15-2010, 7:56 PM
Frank, that is some fine looking wood!! Nice to have surprises like that. I agree with David on the hollow form - would produce a unique piece.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2010, 8:13 PM
Great gloat! Beautiful wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Baxter Smith
02-15-2010, 8:29 PM
Looks great. I bet it was exciting to cut each one open!:D

David Christopher
02-15-2010, 8:32 PM
welcome to the creek Frank, cant wait to see what you make with that maple

Mike Golka
02-15-2010, 8:43 PM
Great looking wood! Just what I need for my new Easycore.

Matt Newton
02-15-2010, 9:14 PM
Frank, I would be careful with all that staining in the wood. It could spread to your other wood like some kind of disease. I would be happy to quarentine :rolleyes: it for you for a small fee. Seriously great score and to quote from others "you suck" :D

Roland Martin
02-15-2010, 9:16 PM
Wow, you're going to have some nice figure out of a lot of that. You're going to be busy for quite a while. If you can't handle it all, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 9:21 PM
Congrats on some nice wood.

alex carey
02-15-2010, 9:22 PM
nice gloat, some of that looks real nice.

Gary Chester
02-15-2010, 9:35 PM
OK... I'm jealous... We cut a maple down too and it sure doesn't look like that :mad:

Welcome to the madness!!!

Brian Effinger
02-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Some guys have all the luck! That sure is some pretty wood.

Congrats Frank and welcome.

gary Zimmel
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek Frank!
From what I see you have enough wood for a long long time....
Great gloat.

Frank Frazier
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks all.

I just have one "small" problem pictured below. My faithful Jet Mini is just not up to these blanks.

I have convinced the budget department that it is time for a bigger lathe (can't let all this maple go to waste) and I am looking very closely at the Nova DVR XP. Woodcraft is going to have a 10% off sale in two weeks. the Jet 1642-2 was my second choice. However I was just over on another forum and saw a good review of the new Grizzly G0698. Decisions - Decisions.

I have been spending a lot of time here on the creek reading lathe reviews. It has really been great and I am sure it will lead to a far more informed decision than just walking into woodcraft credit card in hand.

I think I am spending more time on this lathe decision than I did when I bought my last car! Of course I plan to spend more time with the lathe than the car.

charlie knighton
02-16-2010, 7:44 AM
nice gloat, i agree you might have outgrown the mini, enjoy