PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Air Cleaner

Jack Hogoboom
10-27-2004, 1:47 PM
I have a JDS unit hanging in my workshop to take dust out of the ambient air. All of a sudden, the speed control mechanism doesn't work. When I turn the unit on, it comes on full blast and turning the knob that's supposed to slow the fan down does nothing. I don't anything about electricity (among other things), so I don't know if it's a blown fuse, a short circuit or something else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Steve Clardy
10-27-2004, 2:18 PM
Maybe the speed control has gone south. Check the wiring to see if something has fell off of the switch.
Steve

Chris Padilla
10-27-2004, 2:25 PM
The knob is probably just a potentiometer that regulates the current being fed to the motor.

First, make sure the knob isn't broken or spinning freely. It should be keyed to lock onto the shaft or perhaps a little allen set screw has come loose.

If that looks fine, you'll have to dig into the box and see if anything is loose as Steve suggested. Barring that, a call to the manuf. about warranty work/tech help might be next.

Since the unit is working, I doubt there is a blown fuse or a short circuit since the latter would probably cause the former. :)