PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care to take on a job ?

Tom Cullen
02-15-2010, 5:25 PM
Hi all,
It's been a while since my last post on the Creek, health issues with the old ticker but now repaired and mending. Anyway way back when I was doing a large job for a customer that involved a fairly large mural in absolute black granite ( bought @ the depot ). I ran into issues with the job and I could never determine the root cause of the problem. he had sent me art work that was to be used to create a 72X72 inch mural consisting of 12 inch absolute black granite tiles ...6ft x 6ft squared. I managed to run off about 10 or so tiles that are placed on the outside of the design but thats as far as I got. The design it's self consists of a big compass star ( rose ) in the middle with circles around the star and on the out side tiles , logos. The guy just called me today to ask if I could sell him what I have already done and see if I can find someone to complete the job. Is there anyone here with experience looking to make a few bucks? I have all the art work and overall design. Only thing I ask is that we try to match the work I have already done , so this would mean buying tiles to match the flecking in mine ( as close as can be) a sample can be provided. Lets talk if your are interested. There are some 17 tiles left to do ( I think...will check). PM me and we can talk. Someone can make some money on this.

Thanks
Tom

Dan Hintz
02-15-2010, 5:42 PM
Tom,

Where are you located? Starting from scratch may make better sense than trying to match up to your current tiles... you have about $100 invested in materials, so it would probably be more problematic than just starting over. If you're near me, I'd be interested in taking the project on... send me a PM.

Tom Cullen
02-15-2010, 5:51 PM
Hi Dan,
I am located in San Diego but the customer is in Virginia. I see what you are saying but from my perspective not only have I invested in the tiles but also a lot of time in running them and trying to figure out my problem (could be hardware related) . The tiles could easly be matched if whom ever decides to do the job gets them from the big orange depot. Their batches are usually fairly consistant. The overall design can still be picked up from what I have already done by running ( after tiling) one tile or more at a time.

Thanks
Tom

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2010, 6:27 PM
Tom, I'm in VA and I'm happy to help, but like Dan, I think we may be better off to start over. I bought several dozen tiles from Lowes to make a mural for our office, and before I could even get started, I noticed that they were very different, all in the same box. Some have a brown tint to them, some are nice and black. The two side by side aren't close. I'll be happy to give it a go and see if I can match it and I'm happy to work with you on making sure you don't take a bath on the job. Shoot me a PM if you are interested (or if Dan doesn't want to do it).

Tom Cullen
02-15-2010, 6:39 PM
Okay Scott,
I'm at work right now and don't get out until 6pm pst....but when I get home I will do the math in regard to the tiles I have done and the tiles left to do and also get together the art work and Corel files. I'm sure we can try to work something out. I'm willing to work with anyone on this although you do have the advantage of living in VA as the customer does .

I will be in contact soon.

Thanks
Tom