PDA

View Full Version : Wood and Metal Staircase

Richard Wolf
02-15-2010, 4:44 PM
Well, a little change of pace for me. The stairs and Santos Mahogany treads and the stringers are 10/4" poplar. The rail system is a combination of aluminum posts and stainless steel cables. The hand rails are mahogany. We also did the outside rails the same way.
This is a guest house off the main house in Mattituck, NY.

Jim Dunn
02-16-2010, 8:22 AM
Richard nice looking use of materials. You say this is a guest house? Must be some real happy guests. Mine get the extra room after the wife empties it of all her junk and cleans off the spare bed.

Mike McCann
02-16-2010, 9:00 AM
sharp looking stairs. the steel and aluminum go very well with the dark wood

Jamie Buxton
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Are cables code-legal? I'd read that they don't pass a no-climb requirement.

Thomas Pender
02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Richard-

I really like these stairs along with the exposed underframing for the landing.

I will admit, however, that Jamie's comment resonates with me. These are not stairs to have around small children.

T

John Thompson
02-16-2010, 1:13 PM
Great looking job using modern materials combined with traditional. You did a fantastic job of laying or stringing those cables.. whatever the term would be.

Excellent...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2010, 2:14 PM
Richard......very nice! Mark Singer would appreciate that I believe.

Richard Wolf
02-16-2010, 8:09 PM
I was a little concerned about the rails being code compliant, The inspector had no problem with them and the architects plans were approved with the permits. As a matter of fact, the inspector asked for my card because he wanted to use this type of rail on his new deck.

I do have to tell you that a stainless steel cable system is extremely expensive. The hardware required adds up very quickly.

Thanks for the comments.

Richard

Scott Hildenbrand
02-18-2010, 5:28 PM
That's an interesting house to say the least... Exposed and painted floor joists in the back.. Nice.. What are those tubes [pic #3] in the walls for?

I don't see anything off code either..

I'm surprised that you used so many turnbuckles. Most stairs I'd seen done like this run the cables through the posts from top all the way down to bottom and only have a single turnbuckle for tensioning.

Roy Wall
02-18-2010, 6:56 PM
Those look terrific Richard........yes, a change of pace for you for sure.

Beautiful work as always!

Bill Wyko
02-18-2010, 7:15 PM
Absolutely exquisite. Great design and execution.

Jim Becker
02-20-2010, 10:05 PM
That IS different for you, Richard...very Mark Singer like design. Nice work!

Brian Kropp
03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Richard, they look great. I myself am a wood guy and I like doing wood stairs, no iron balusters, no iron post, etc.. It seems that everything goes in cycles, iron use to be in style then it wasn't, now it's back. so on and so on. Oh well