PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Morris chair question...

Brian Penning
02-15-2010, 4:41 PM
Just finished dry-fitting 52 spindles to a pair of quartersawn oak Morris chairs when I realized I didn't cut the 3/4" X 5/8" side spindles so that the outside face(3/4" side) has the quartersawn side showing...sheesh!

Think it'll matter a whole lot once the stain and finish is applied?

Brian Kent
02-15-2010, 4:53 PM
Shhhhh. No one will ever know. Never point at it. It's OK!

Ben Abate
02-15-2010, 5:02 PM
Brian,

When you say fitting does that mean glueing? If so, oh well but, if you didn't glue them you could, I say could slice up some thin veneer of the quartered oak and apply it to the pieces. A lot of guys that build Morris chairs do apply veneer to faces that are plain sawn. I know, you don't want to hear that. I do understand that, but you'll like yourself better for it tomorrow for doing it.

take a day off and think of it.
Ben

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2010, 6:03 PM
Brian, whenever I have made an error that could be repaired and I didn't, it bothered me every time I looked at it........Rod.

Darnell Hagen
02-15-2010, 7:49 PM
Ya, I'm sorry to say the look is gonna bother you.

I'd veneer the front surface, it is visually pleasing and it is accurate, with Stickleys quadrilinear colums and all. You're turning an error into a design feature, spindles with three quartersawn surfaces.

Keep track of the veneer and how it came off the sheet, and install the spindles in the same order. Your eye will see the continious grain, and it's all about those little touches that separate craftsman built from store bought.