PDA

View Full Version : baltic and finnish birch plywoods

Mike Minto
02-15-2010, 4:26 PM
regarding using these plywoods for making sleds and other jigs in wood turning (ha! thought you caught me posting in the wrong forum, didn't you?:D), i have a very small shop in the back yard, which is only partly insulated (the roof). anyway, do you think i should keep sleds and jigs out in the shed, subject to changes in humidity, or in the house, and only take them to the shop when i need to use them? i hear these woods are very stable, but small changes in a jig can have big results.

Buck Williams
02-15-2010, 6:35 PM
I have a sled of baltic birch that I use for 45°'s and 22-1/2°'s (for segmented turning) that, while not in an outside shop, manages to stay very accurate in my basement shop. We're talkin' Upper Midwest, cold and dry winters to 95° and extremely muggy ummers. Of course the basement tempers the temperature extremes, but the change in humidity which you would expect to affect the wood the most, doesn't seem to be a factor.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 9:39 PM
I leave my BB sleds in my shop. Of course it doesn't get much colder than 48 degs as I turn the heat down when not in there.

Tom Wilson66
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I think you can keep them in the shed, since the humidity will change whether in the shed or the shop. I would think the important thing would be to bring them in a day or two ahead of using them to allow them to stabilize in the work area. Then don't have to worry as much about any changes while in use.

Richard Madison
02-16-2010, 1:43 AM
Interesting question Mike, and may depend upon your own experience for the best answer.