PDA

View Full Version : What I did during snow storm + air compressor ?

Don Morris
02-15-2010, 3:52 PM
When I wasn't shoveling, chipping ice, snowthrowing, etc. last week during the snow storm (40" on my deck), I got around to putting the Rapid Reel air-hose-reel on my Sears 2HP air compressor. Got the idea from a creeker who did his with a welded framework. Mine isn't so elegant. I used PTP that was about the same size at the bracket as the reel and the space on the plastic shroud of the compressor. Stiffened the shroud in the back with a metal bar and it seemed to tolerate the weight and stress well after that.

The compressor is at least 20+ years old and I've had the air filter shown below on it from the beginning. I took it off when I put the hose reel on to test the connection, which was fine, no air leaks. At that time I thought about the fact in all those years I never had to drain it, and it never had any more than 1/4" to 1/2" of fluid in it. Which brings me to my question for air compressor gurus: was the air filter really necessary? I'll put it back into the air line if it is. Otherwise...KISS.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2010, 9:59 PM
I have a compressor that looks like yours. I don't remember ever seeing a filter. I like to mount the hose reel on the bottom side of the handle assembly. For my reel, I used the (used to be $19.99 on sale) from HF, that comes with 30' of 3/8" hose. Trash the hose (give it to someone you don't like), and mount 100' of 1/4" hose in it's place.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I have a somewhat larger compressor and I installed a loop in the shop. There are three risers from the loop and I have water traps and regulators at each riser. I installed an automatic blow off at the bottom of the tank that keeps the tank free of water accumulation. I collect very little water unless I am running an air sander or spraying finish on a large surface. Then the air gets so hot you can hardly hold your hand on the tank. During that time, I collect a lot of water and can still get water in the sander. I end up using an disposable inline trap just before the sander or spray gun. It's not that the traps are not working, water can condense after the trap in the air hose between the trap and the tool.
If you don't use your compressor to run a large cfm consuming tool, like a spray gun or sander, you may never need the water trap. If you spray finish, water based or solvent, you need much more protection from water or oil contamination. It all depends on your use.

Don Morris
02-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not painting a car any more with this compressor, the reason I bought it. I did a lot more auto work years ago. I could get on a creepy crawler then and slide under a car, drop a manual transmission on my chest to get at the clutch. My back won't let me now...or lean over a wheel well...those days are long gone. Wwing has been a kinder, gentler hobby on my body.

Thanks for the info on why and when you get water condensate with compressor use. Think I'll skip replacing the filter. It only gets moderate wwing hobbyist shop use now.