PDA

View Full Version : Square bowl turned round

Eric Kosanovich
02-15-2010, 2:57 PM
Well i started out trying to make Bobs square bowl but i chiped it.
Consolation prize is i ended up with a really nice round bowl.
Thanks Bob i tryed. 7" x 2"

Steve Mawson
02-15-2010, 3:28 PM
Even though it's not what you started to make it is really nice. Great piece of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2010, 3:40 PM
Very pretty bowl Eric! You experienced what the rest of us call 'a design opportunity'! Looks like you made the most of it!

Bob Hamilton
02-15-2010, 4:41 PM
Good try, though, Eric! I have had a few blanks that decided they would prefer to be round myself. :)

Take care
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2010, 4:45 PM
Great save on the bowl. Looks good.

John Keeton
02-15-2010, 4:55 PM
Nice consolation prize!:D;) Looks like ash? Whatever it is, it is a very nice piece of wood, and made a nice bowl.

If I have learned anything with this turning, it is that one must always be ready to "alter the plan!" In flatwork, when one makes a bad cut, you put that piece of wood aside to use for a shorter piece!! Doesn't work that way with the round stuff! You just have to adapt to those design opportunities.

David E Keller
02-15-2010, 7:54 PM
Looks good... it that's oak, I'll pray that the branch pith doesn't crack on you. Great figure on that piece.

Eric Kosanovich
02-28-2010, 8:55 PM
Looks good... it that's oak, I'll pray that the branch pith doesn't crack on you. Great figure on that piece.
Update

Yes i have had a hard time with the branch and it started to warp at the top of the bowl. So here is what i did i got a plastic bag from the bigy mart and put some of the wet shaving in it then tied it tight for two weeks i checked it today and it seems to have gone away. It must have re-hydrated and i only see a vary small bump there now that i could sand off really easy

David E Keller
02-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the update.

David E Keller
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the update. Hope it turns out well.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-01-2010, 1:02 AM
Well you didn't use the easiest wood to try the square bowl with Eric, figured Oak is hard to turn anything out of without issues, but you did get a bowl out of it, though it might not survive, I'm sure you got more experience by doing it, good job