PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2010, 10:08 AM
15 Feb 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
It's that time again for us to fess up about if we got done anything that we had planned for the weekend or not.

Me? I'm doing stuff for work, making plans to meet up with my mom & dad at M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston, TX for the final diagnosis of my dad's newly diagnosed cancer and hopefully a good treatment plan for him. What we do know is that his cancer type is one that is extremely rare and they are flying him to M.D. Anderson to make sure this is correct, determine it's origin, and come up with a treatment plan.

So...between work, helping my kids with school work, taking time to talk life over with the wife, attend church, and the rest of my time is taken up with trying to get all this stuff worked out so I can be there for my dad.

The only woodworking I've been doing is keeping the wood stove fed and keeping the wood pile full so to keep the family warm and dry this winter.

Blessings and good health to you all.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dan Gill
02-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I burned some scraps in the fireplace. Too cold to do anything else.

Matt Meiser
02-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Saturday morning I did some cleanup in the shop and got the electricals finished on my planer. In the afternoon we went to The Henry Ford (http://www.hfmgv.org/) which we haven't visited in a long time. LOML jr and I plan to go back to take the Rouge tour and see where my truck was built (though I actually got a private floor-level tour of the truck plant about 4 years ago.) Sunday I worked up a first draft of a mockup for the dust hood for my planer and started construction of a belt guard.

brian c miller
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Made a snowman, in South Carolina...

John Morrison60
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I delivered a cherry hall tree to the LOML.
On time delivery brought on much good will.
Fun project.
Very surprised that the hardware cost more than the wood.

John

Stephen Edwards
02-15-2010, 1:13 PM
Dennis, I think that your priorities are in perfect order, even if you didn't get to do any work in your shop.

Best wishes to your Dad and your family as he begins his treatment, whatever that plan may be.

Ryan Welch
02-15-2010, 1:24 PM
Well I was able to get a little done, cut the aprons and finish turned the legs for a coffee table for my sister. Not a bad outing all considered. All cuts right the first time, amazing maybe my luck is changing. The Daytona 500 dragged on a little longer than expected yesterday and lost all ambition at its conclusion.

Bobby McCarley
02-15-2010, 1:27 PM
No woodworking this weekend, too cold and wet. Did manage to burn a lot of wood trying to stay warm though. Friday, we watched the second snowfall of this winter. Folks, it just don't snow in South Louisiana that often. Saturday, did manage to make our monthy woodturning club meeting while the wife went to the local Mardi Gras parade, Spanish Town. Sunday, just chilled out around the house with the kids and grandkids for Valentine Day. Sunday night the rain moved in, AGAIN:mad:. I'm sick and tired of winter and rain.

Well, I guess it could be a lot worse.

Bobby
Louisiana

Kirk Simmons
02-15-2010, 2:04 PM
Setting up a new DC. I saw some Jet DC-1100M's in the Rockler clearance section at my local store for $220, so I sold my Jet DC-650 on Craigslist for $150 and then bought the 1100M as an upgrade. Using Phil Thien's website as a resource I then cut myself a new interior baffle, and got it installed.

Logan William
02-15-2010, 2:05 PM
As a newer member to the creek I've been more of a lurker than a contributor but am hoping that eventually I can contribute more. I bought a house about 3 months ago and as being a bachelor I have the luxury of making the garage the first room to get renovated :) So my weekend consisted of finally getting the garage to wear its beginning to take shape

The before isn't exactly the original state, just close to what it started at this weekend, when I bought it that wall was covered with 1/4" OSB. Now that the garage is starting to take shape and I can see some of my tools again I can hopefully get temporary power to my unisaw so I can start on the first project in the place, a stand for my new DW735 planer(thanks HD!).

And sorry about the first picture....for some reason the camera lens didn't open all the way

Joe Mioux
02-15-2010, 2:25 PM
spent the weekend arranging and delivering flowers.

Rob Young
02-15-2010, 2:27 PM
Saturday was running errands to pick up some 8/4 cherry for an upcoming chest-of-drawers build as well as some 4/4 sycamore and butternut to "play" with. I'm not sure what I want to use for drawer sides yet so I decided to get a few board feet of these (yard was out of sassafras :( ) to experiment with.

Next up was a stop at the KCWG guild shop to resaw some scraps of mahogany (couple of 2' long by 3" thick laminated scraps from a window frame manufacturer). Then at home I planed the resawn stock to 5/8" and made a stack of practice blocks for dovetail practice. I want to dovetail the drawers and I need to brush up on 1/2 blinds. My cherry stock is somewhat limited so I'll practice with the reject mahogany a few more times before digging into the cherry drawer fronts.

And finally build a couple of new bench hooks and a carving jack to donate to the KCWG for use with our new handtool workbenches. I'm not going to be the guy who puts that first massive ding in the new benches!

Chris Kehl
02-15-2010, 2:29 PM
I was able to make good progress on the wine cabinet for my wife, no volleyball tournaments this weekend. Hopefully I can finish up most of the work this week and get it ready for a finish. I am also sick of the cold and snow as others have mentioned. Have a good week.

Greg Hines, MD
02-15-2010, 3:25 PM
Wood-wise, my weekend consisted of splitting logs for the fireplace, and purchasing some wide pine boards for a friends project. When the snow is off the ground, will see about milling it up.

Doc

Joe Shinall
02-15-2010, 5:19 PM
Gave away 2 old cabinets to Goodwill from the shop to make room for some more equipment. Bought a Ridgid 14" bandsaw but no blades. Went to Harbor Freight and bought a DC. Had the coupon for 140 and had a $50 gift card. Finally have DC unit in my shop! Only one problem...Had to order the hose :mad:

Oh well, at least I was able to make my second snowman in 20 years. Born and raised in Savannah, Ga and the only other time it snowed here in my lifetime was in 89. We got 4 inches Friday night, of course it was all melted by 1:00 pm Saturday :(

George Sanders
02-15-2010, 5:20 PM
Dennis I hope things turn out well for your family.

I cleaned out an ice covered rain gutter. The thing was full. Finally got the clog (frozen leaves) out but the downspout that feeds into it has ice backed up two feet. Guess I can try heat tape. When does spring get here, I've forgotten. :rolleyes:

Neil Brooks
02-15-2010, 5:31 PM
I drove 3hrs, round-trip, to meet a very decent woodworker who (aside from having a beautiful, free-standing shop) sold me his used JDS Air-Tech 10-16 Air Filtration Unit ... similar to ... this guy, here:

http://jdstools.com/ProductImages/airfiltration/AT1016.jpg

Just hung the sucker -- a job better done with TWO people than one :rolleyes:

Sniff.

Sniff, sniff.

Aaaahhhhh :)

Neil Brooks
02-15-2010, 5:38 PM
making plans to meet up with my mom & dad at M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston, TX for the final diagnosis of my dad's newly diagnosed cancer and hopefully a good treatment plan for him. What we do know is that his cancer type is one that is extremely rare and they are flying him to M.D. Anderson to make sure this is correct, determine it's origin, and come up with a treatment plan.

Just saw that part.

So sorry. All the best with that, huh? My SIL is just trying to shake loose of The Big "C," after the chemo, the radiation, and a whole mess of meds.

Fingers crossed for you and yours....