PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made a toboggan?

johnny means
02-15-2010, 9:23 AM
My kids and I got to really enjoy some serious snow this past week. We had some tubes and snowboards, but what I really wanted was a good old fashioned 4 man toboggan. So I'm thinking that might be one of my summer projects.

Craig McCormick
02-15-2010, 9:41 AM
I'd say with eminent gloBULL warming it would soon be of no use;-)

AZCRAIG

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2010, 9:54 AM
I made toboggans for my children about 20 years ago, they were single person size however.

They were made out of 6mm maple, bent by heating the strips in boiling water outside on a propane burner.

I think they cost more than a commercial one, however the kids had their own homemade one which they used for years.

Regards, Rod.

Mike McCann
02-15-2010, 9:56 AM
I did a quick search and there is a thread on here that starts making a toboggin it is from 2005. I do not know how to link it here but if you google making a toboggin it will be the third on down.

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
02-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Almost 50 years ago, my Dad, who was handy, but not a woodworker built my brother and I a Toboggan. We were poor, lived in the city, but for a couple of bucks my father bought 2 pairs or ancient wooden skis at Salvation Army, I remember it was big enough for the whole family to get on it. This doesn't really involve any woodworking, and I also, am looking forward to learning how to bend wood myself, but if you want something for this winter, it is a quick way to put one together. It was fast, and I sure had a lot of fun, we loaded it onto a Rambler roof, and went to the suburbs to a golf course.

Scott Schwake
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16106&highlight=toboggan