PDA

View Full Version : First Corian Attempt

Brian J Rogalny
02-15-2010, 8:56 AM
I just bought a truckload of corian and tried my first sign for a tool I will be carrying in my store.A little rough on the router I know.:cool:

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2010, 9:53 AM
Looks amazing. Wait....it looks horrible. No, great, no horrible.....wait.... can't tell because there's no photo attached!

James Jaragosky
02-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I just bought a truckload of corian and tried my first sign for a tool I will be carrying in my store.A little rough on the router I know.:cool:
Corian cuts very nicely on the router. The stress on your equipment will be less than many hardwoods.

Scott Shepherd
02-15-2010, 6:34 PM
We have a PHOTO!!!! WOOO HOOOO!

Larry Bratton
02-15-2010, 7:14 PM
Looks good Brian. Did you paint fill the engraving?

Brian J Rogalny
02-15-2010, 7:20 PM
Thanks Larry,I was going to but didn't have any green paint to match the companys color.

Larry Bratton
02-15-2010, 7:23 PM
That would be a nice touch. Pick up some Testors at a hobby shop. Might not be an exact match but you can probably come close.

David Harvey
02-15-2010, 7:35 PM
Very, very good! What flavor of Corian did you use?

The green paint fill, I think, would set it off!

Thanks!

Brian J Rogalny
02-15-2010, 9:00 PM
I have just about every color, I used the Lava Rock

Brian J Rogalny
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I took the advice and painted, glad I did it matches the company color perfect.

Keith Outten
02-20-2010, 9:13 AM
Very Nice Brian!

Next time try cutting the letters from green engravers plastic and inlay them. You can adjust the depth of engraving so the plastic stands proud of the surface of the Corian. I use CA glue to inlay engravers plastic and I use both paint and plastic inlays on a lot of my signs. Acrylic gold and silver mirror is another material that can produce some stunning inlays.

Larry Bratton
02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Wayyy cool. I like it.

donald bugansky
02-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Great looking sign. I seem to have challenges with getting clean "paint filled" items. Edges seem to bleed and it just makes a mess.

So I was wondering if the following made sense or do I have my process messed up?

1 - Mask material
2 - Vector outline of letters (light - just enough to cut the tape)
3 - Pull tape letters out
4 - Raster to depth you want
5 - Paint fill (brush/spray) and let dry
6 - Pull remaining mask and clean

So since you engraved your sign and then paint filled (without any masking), did you just use a fine detail brush? How did you get it to look so clean.

Thx - Bugs

Scott Shepherd
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Bugs, with the Corian, you can just engrave it, spray paint all over it, and then hit it with a orbital sander. The paint stays down in the engraving and the sander cuts all the paint off the top. Works like a dream. No paint brushes or masking needed at all.

Larry Bratton
02-20-2010, 2:18 PM
Bugs
Scott is right on the Corian. But,I'm sure your having the same issue with other materials..right? What are you using for mask? You would think that masking tape from the paint store would work, but I have tried that and have the same problems with the paint "wicking" around the edges, go figure. I have used a polyester mask with success. The one I use is called Pflex and I get it from Piedmont Plastics in Charlotte, NC. Laserbits also sells one they call Polyester Flex but I haven't tried it. May be the same stuff.

Brian J Rogalny
02-20-2010, 3:06 PM
Bugs, On this one I wiped it down with a polish then squeegeed the acrylic paint in and then wiped off with with a wet rag and it cleaned up real nice and the lines stayed sharp.