PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Roto zip tool-anyone use one?

dennis thompson
02-15-2010, 8:31 AM
I was given a Bosch rotozip tool, I've tried several times to use it but can't seem to find a good use for it. It looks like I might be able to use it as a laminate trimmer but I can't figure out how. Does anyone use this product in their woodworking? If so, how?
Thanks
Dennis

Aaron Wingert
02-15-2010, 9:02 AM
I've never used mine for woodworking. I think the little bases and such are a little cheesy and I think and actual router or laminate trimmer is the way to go for such tasks, so that's what I use. The roto zip is absolutely unbeatable for drywall work...Cutting out electrical boxes, window and door openings, etc. It also works well for the same thing on OSB/plywood exterior sheathing.

Bret Duffin
02-15-2010, 9:29 AM
I use mine mostly on the jobsite installing cabinets. Very quick and handy for various cutouts needed in the cabinets for plumbing and electrical but definatley not a finish tool. I never use it in the shop.

Joe Scharle
02-15-2010, 9:35 AM
A few years ago I built a hinge mortising jig and modified the base of a Rotozip for it's use. Also, the collar on the Rotozip is 43mm and will accept most drill (auxiliary) handles, and I use it with 1/4" burr bits for carving/shaping odd shapes. And if you can find a used Rotozip/Dremel Advantage plunge base, the tool fits in that too.

file:///C:/Users/COMPAQ%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.pngfile:///C:/Users/COMPAQ%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Hinge_Mortise_Jig_4_.jpg

Jamie Buxton
02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I haven't actually gone out and bought a rotozip to do this, but if I owned one, I would use it to make clearance holes oval when I am screwing a solid wood panel (like a table top) to a structure than doesn't expand and contract.

Nathan Allen
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
There is a significant amount of drift, but for a fairly light handheld they are very useful. The best use is for drywall, but I've found a few uses for mine that allow me to avoid buying more very specialized tools.

Coping - I bought mine originally to cope about 500 ft of Crown and Base molding. Used the flex shaft attachment with a sabre bit to come close then a sanding drum attachment to finish the cope.

Circle Cutting - forget the garbage attachments, scroll a circle then cut within a couple MM. Finish the rest with sanding

Metal Trimming - the carbon circles are very reasonable. Being able to trim aluminum and pipe is useful

Enlongating Holes - I have the plunge attachment for this, actually fairly stable. Base is too narrow and has too much flex to comfortably use as an edge router, but okay for center work

Cleaning out Mortises - Use my forstner bits to make the rought opening then rotozip to clean out edges and square up the corners. You have to move very slowly and use an edge guide

Peter Quinn
02-15-2010, 9:12 PM
I use mine strictly as a cut out tool for drywall and plywood, and have spun the tile bits as well. There is too much deflection in the base IMO to do any accurate work. I prefer a real trim router for use as a trim router.

Prashun Patel
02-15-2010, 10:27 PM
It's a nice to have tool. More useful for home projects than ww projects. It's saved me a couple times when I've needed to make an awkward cut or carve.

Jim Heffner
02-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Dennis, why not try and make some different base plates for that rotozip?
I think, if you do, you will find that it can be used for different jobs and is easier to control when used as a small trim router. That is one thing that
I like about having one, it is versatile enough to try different things and
see what works best in any situation. Also, having a plunge base comes in handy once in a while too!

Dave Gaul
02-17-2010, 9:11 AM
I may have never bought one on my own, but it was given to me as a gift, and has been a life save at times!
I've used mine on countless projects, mostly "rough" construction type things, but the occasion grinding/cutting away a mis-fired finish nail here and there!

I use the Dremel cut-off discs quite often, and the Dremel sanding wheels come in handy!

I've used it for cut-outs in drywall, plaster, masonary....

Very handy tool when nothing else you have will do better!

Noah Katz
02-17-2010, 11:10 PM
"The roto zip is absolutely unbeatable for drywall work...Cutting out electrical boxes, window and door openings, etc."

I've never tried one but I just hot the Harbor Freight Multitool and I don't see how it could be beat for those tasks - much more control, less waste material generated, and doesn't throw that material everywhere because of the small oscillating motion.